Space Saver Tyres

Old August 3rd 04, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

Default Space Saver Tyres

"krikey" wrote in message

"David Willdigg" wrote in message
All new cars seem to be coming equiped with these now that is apart from

the
others that have a repair kit instead. I keep asking sales staff are

they
suitable for use whilst towing and have yet to get an answer. Any

thoughts

Refuse to accept the car with one of these tyres. I doubt they are up to
the extra stresses that occur when towing. Insist on a proper spare
wheel/tyre.

Sounds a great idea but where you going to put it? The carrier/space for it
will be designed for the smaller wheel.

Back to the Ultra seal debate...........then you may not need any spare
tyres.

Paul

Old August 4th 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TP

"Paul" wrote:

Back to the Ultra seal debate...........then you may not need any spare
tyres.

What debate? Ultra seal has it's uses in an emergency but it doesn't
replace the reassurance of having a proper spare wheel.

There were a few words about Ultra seal in another thread.

There are many cars out there in UK and Europe that have ditched the spare
in favour of a LPG tank and have Ultra seal or a product similar installed.

Has any car *manufacturer* actually done this?

Old August 4th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:50:39 +0000 (UTC), "krikey"
wrote:

Back to the Ultra seal debate...........then you may not need any spare
tyres.

What debate? Ultra seal has it's uses in an emergency but it doesn't
replace the reassurance of having a proper spare wheel.

You may have hit the nail on the head (excuse the puncture pun g) by
saying "Ultra seal has it's uses in an emergency"?

It's *not* for use IN an emergency, it's a pre installed solution that
could well prevent an 'emergency'? (Ultraseal is NOT the same as
'emergency_get_you_home_repair_solutions' like Tyre Weld etc.)

I'm not suggesting you don't carry 'a' spare wheel (even a space
saver) because even Ultraseal can't protect against everything. But,
car tyres are very easy to get supplied / changed, even on a Sunday
morning so you wouldn't have to drive very far / long on your space
saver?. Also you *know* you have fitted one and can drive accordingly?

However, I suggest van tyre (with their more specific application /
spec) has a greater likelihood of being damaged (compared with a car
tyre) by being run soft / flat and the simple, quick, and cheap (even
compared with one damaged tyre) option of pre-installing Ultraseal
makes so much sense (to some of us anyway).?

Maybe it's like the wearing of safety belts or crash helmets thing ..
some folk need to see the results of an accident 'without' before they
will change their views?

All the best ..

T i m

no connection, just happier driver / rider 'with' ;-)

How many caravan manufacturers are installing it in new vans instead of
Tyron bands?
--
hugh

Old August 5th 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:15:25 +0100, TP wrote:

T i m wrote:

We will have to agree to disagree then? I wasn't part of any
developement / testing team so can only put forward the written claims
of the product

So your statements of fact are based purely on manufacturers'
marketing hype.

Thank you for making that clear.

My pleasure .. ;-)

You seem to have forgotten my personal experience and that of many
other happy users though (ignoring the hype for a moment) ?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Could you remind me why you used it with your motorbike please
TC?

Old August 6th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , T i m
writes
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:54:21 +0100, TP wrote:

"Uno Hoo!" wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message

Back to the Ultra seal debate...........then you may not need any
spare
tyres.

What debate? Ultra seal has it's uses in an emergency but it doesn't
replace the reassurance of having a proper spare wheel.

There were a few words about Ultra seal in another thread.

There are many cars out there in UK and Europe that have ditched the spare
in favour of a LPG tank and have Ultra seal or a product similar
installed.

Which may well be ok if you get a nail in the tyre - but completely useless
if any part of the tyre is cut - eg by serious kerbing.

It isn't OK if the nail or screw stays in the tyre.

True ..

Without the loss
of air that alerts you to a tyre problem, and (unlike with a car)
being unable to feel the effects of a puncture, it is very easy to tow
your caravan for 1000s of miles with a nail or screw embedded in the
tyre doing ever more damage each time the wheels go round, with the
likelihood of a failure to come that's far more severe than a mere
slow puncture.

True again, but, Ultraseal lubricates the 'nail' so that it *does'
come out and the the Ultraseal does it's job?

There is a case for tyre sealant on motorbikes (I have used it without
problems) or possibly for cars, where you at least have a good chance
of realising you have a foreign body in your tyre. But on a caravan?

Did you have a puncture on a bike with Ultraseal TP (out of interest
..)?

No thanks!

Funnily enough and for exactly the opposite reasons you state I don't
have Ultraseal in the cars (well apart from one wheel on the Sierra
g) but fit it in all the trailers .. (especially the ones we tow
behind our motorbikes!). *If* a nail get's into the tyre but stays
there, Ultraseal will not allow any air to escape and even if the nail
should work the hole bigger it will come out eventually (basic
mechanics and cooled / lubricated ) and Ultraseal will block a hole up
to 6mm diameter (or more, from memory?).

The additional damage is caused not by making the hole bigger but by the
point of the nail scratching away at the inside of the tyre wall as the
tyre is deflected as it come in contact with the road. How does
Ultraseal counter that?
I wonder what makes so many folk put up an argument *against*
something (usually something *new*) often without knowing exactly what
it is, how it works or trying it themselves?

Oh well ...

All the best ..

T i m

Cos we don't trust salesmen (sorry salespersons)
One thing you might explain though is how does a nail come out when it
is being thumped back in on every rotation of the tyre?
--
hugh