Space Saver Tyres

Old August 3rd 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Default Space Saver Tyres

"krikey" wrote in message

"David Willdigg" wrote in message
All new cars seem to be coming equiped with these now that is apart from

the
others that have a repair kit instead. I keep asking sales staff are

they
suitable for use whilst towing and have yet to get an answer. Any

thoughts

Refuse to accept the car with one of these tyres. I doubt they are up to
the extra stresses that occur when towing. Insist on a proper spare
wheel/tyre.

You can certainly insist on a proper full-size spare - but it will cost you
as an extra-cost-option! The advice I was given was that if you need to use
the space-saver when towing - make sure that it is fitted to the front of
the car rather than the rear. This may mean swapping wheels around of
course.

Kev

Old August 10th 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin

Agreed, but in most cars you'd be making it a driven, and steerable, wheel
which I doubt is a good idea. And putting it on the back wheel would

mean
it would be taking the extra noseweight of the caravan. A no win

situation
either way.

And most proper end driven cars have real spare wheels!