Sibir 3 way worse than 'others' because?

Old August 4th 04, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Sibir 3 way worse than 'others' because?

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

I was considering getting one of the Sibir RC1100 3 way fridges (for
use with the big tent / folding van) and wondered if there was any
part of the design that made it 35 quid cheaper than the cheapest
Electrolux etc please?

I've no idea about that, never having heard of the Sibir fridge and not
being able to find anything on a website.

My contribution is to say that we've been extremely happy with out
Electrolux (now Dometic) 3 way chest fridge. We use it in both caravans and
in two different tents. Through the summer it's used almost every weekend
and sometimes for two weeks continuously. We wouldn't be without it. If
frozen food is put in it stays frozen for a long time, foods and liquids
which are put in near the cooling bit will freeze. It holds far more than
you'd imagine.

Very early we did something silly and can't use the cigar lighter fitting in
the car but we've found that the insulation is so good on the fridge that
even on a very hot six hour journey (we did one recently) the food inside
doesn't thaw. Because of that efficiency replacing the cigar lighter fitting
isn't a priority.

Some camping appliances are worth saving on but the reliability of a fridge,
if you're going to use it for perishable food and drink storage, is far more
critical than anything else, I believe. If you're only using it for drinks
it's not so important.

We're not sorry we paid a lot for ours but it would be interesting to read
of the experience of others.

Mary

All the best ..

T i m

Old August 6th 04, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:02:38 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Ours is plastic with rounded corners on front and sides (where it can be
seen for goodness' sake - does it matter?) and metal on the back.

No, it doesn't *matter* (and I'm an engineer so it was nothing to do
with asthetics g)

Ahem. Since we're being pedantic it should be 'aesthetics' ... :-)

I said I was an 'engineer' ;-)

it was just I was expecting it to be like a
Peltier type or std cooler box and be 'rounded' all round?

Ours is - well, like the ones you pointed out on the website.

Hmm. Might be worth a look at some later models then ...

I got the "groenland CTL350" (Camping Gaz) 3 way chest out yesterday
and firsed it up on 240V just to make sure it still works (and it does
.... stat set half way I have ice in the tray and +3 deg at the
bottom).

However, I think I remember that when I first got and was testing it
there was a problem with it not staying on in gas mode. I stripped and
cleaned all the gas paths and although it was *better* (now stays on
set to 'high') it still goes off on 'low' and I think, smells a but
'fumey'? (I'm not sure I would want it in the awning and don't
remember the very old "Westwinter" smelling so?)

The flame looks ok though (nice and blue and not too big / small?).

I can't remember if I went as far as taking the gas valve to bits (I
think someone suggested there could be some grease in the 'low' gas
path) because I would need some new grease to re assemble it properly?

All the best ...

T i m

Old August 9th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

I think I remember that when I first got and was testing it
there was a problem with it not staying on in gas mode. I stripped and
cleaned all the gas paths and although it was *better* (now stays on
set to 'high') it still goes off on 'low' and I think, smells a but
'fumey'? (I'm not sure I would want it in the awning and don't
remember the very old "Westwinter" smelling so?)

I don't think our chest works well unless it's on high when running on gas.
Spouse gets upset because it freezes his precious goat milk. I say it will
thaw quickly if left out overnight and I want frozen food to stay frozen
until I need it. If he can't be better organised about his soddin' milk
that's his lookout.

Hrumph.

Mary