12s Problem

Old August 5th 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve W...

Default 12s Problem

Last year we changed our caravan to a newer model that required the 12s
wiring adding to my car which is a 1996 1.8 petrol Vauxhall Vectra. I
followed all the guides on wiring up the socket correctly & used one of the
new intelligent type relays that make the wiring up a little easier. All
worked fine until we went on a 300 mile journey shortly afterwards & I
suffered problems with the engine management system on the Vectra, two of
the engine management sensors on the engine failed causing the car to
eventually brake down & require towing in.
It was only after reading in the Haynes caravan manual that the wiring for
the 12s system could cause problems with the engine management system did I
relate the problems. It may or may not have been the correct reason for the
problems but I promptly disconnected the relay wiring from the battery &
have not used the 12s side since.

This year though I have missed not being able to use the fridge whilst we
are travelling & would like to get the system working but as you can
appreciate I am very apprehensive about reinstating the wiring again. I have
noticed that plenty of people are towing with the same car & have the 12s
wired up without problems so I am wondering has anybody else on the group
had any experiences of wiring up the 12s on a vectra? Does it matter which
side of the car you take the supply wire down? does the wire need screening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Steve W...

Old August 7th 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Mott

Hi Steve,
I would suggest that you get vauxhall to supply and fit the specific kit for
your make and model. I know that when i had the 12 S socket fitted on my
vauxhall frontera there was a special kit available that fitted straight
into place.
It cost me about 70.00 but saved me any hastle
Good luck
Andy

Old August 18th 04, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
graham

i too had a vectra 1.8 pertol and had trouble with the engine managemnt
system and ut too caused the car to break down. we had to be towed back with
the caravan from Skegness.......but i didnt have a 12s plug wired up!!....so
it was a problem with the Vectra caused not by the 12s wiring has there
wasnt any!