Peugeot 406 tow car

Old August 6th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil Barnes

Default Peugeot 406 tow car

Hi does anybody out there use a 406 2.1 tdi as a tow car? The reason I ask
is I have bought one a 1998 and have just come back from a holiday in Devon
with my Lunar Clubman 460/4, during the drive there and back the temp gauge
seemed to spend an awful lot of time near and above the 100 degree mark.
Is this normal with the extra weught of towing the van up and down hills.
The temp never went into the red but as normally without the van it is only
about 70 degrees. I am only interested to find out if this is normal or a
sign of an upcoming problem.
TIA,
Neil.

Old August 9th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
orion

"Neil Barnes" wrote in message
Hi does anybody out there use a 406 2.1 tdi as a tow car? The reason I

ask
is I have bought one a 1998 and have just come back from a holiday in

Devon
with my Lunar Clubman 460/4, during the drive there and back the temp

gauge
seemed to spend an awful lot of time near and above the 100 degree mark.
Is this normal with the extra weught of towing the van up and down

hills.
The temp never went into the red but as normally without the van it is

only
about 70 degrees. I am only interested to find out if this is normal or

sign of an upcoming problem.
TIA,
Neil.

Neil
Temp gauge never moved from 90Cent (Lancashire to Carnac)
2003 Reg Peugeot 406Estate- 110 hdi towing a Bailey Pageant Monarch MPTLM
1258Kg
Regards
Geoff

Old August 20th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

during the drive there and back the temp gauge seemed to spend an
awful lot of time near and above the 100 degree mark.

If it doesn't enter the red, then I wouldn't worry unduly. However, it may
be worth flushing the cooling system and radiator and replacing the
water/antifreeze. I had to replace a radiator once as it had corroded
internally enough to reduce efficiency. This dropped the temperature by
around 20C, although you might just have a perfectly working radiator that
is a little marginal for its specified towing limit.

Also, check that there are no obstructions in the cooling air, such as a
clogged up radiator grille. Make sure any electric cooling fans and
associated thermostats are operational.

Christian.

Old August 21st 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:03:39 GMT, "Neil Barnes"
wrote:

Hi does anybody out there use a 406 2.1 tdi as a tow car? The reason I ask
is I have bought one a 1998 and have just come back from a holiday in Devon
with my Lunar Clubman 460/4, during the drive there and back the temp gauge
seemed to spend an awful lot of time near and above the 100 degree mark.
Is this normal with the extra weught of towing the van up and down hills.
The temp never went into the red but as normally without the van it is only
about 70 degrees. I am only interested to find out if this is normal or a
sign of an upcoming problem.

I've never owned a Peugeot, but I would think that the fact it
normally is only around 70 degrees without the van is indicative of
some sort of problem (probably the temperature sensor).

Most cars with water temperature gauges, IME, will normally run at
around 90-100.

Whatever it normally runs at though, you would expect it to be higher
with the 'van in tow. So long as it isn't getting into the red zone,
you probably don't need to worry, although if it *is* reading low,
that may not be obvious.

Old August 24th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
lesley

wrote:

[...]

i have a 1997 406 2.1 diesel estate which i tow a sterling europa 520.
i have the same problem as you it drives normally at about 70 and hots
up when towing is an effort. the way to solve the problem is to just
not look at the dial, except when going down hill.