How much would you pay/

Old August 8th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

Default How much would you pay/

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:26:32 +-0100, "Tmax" wrote:

You don't 'have' to go expensive though do you? We have had two 2 week
and one 1 week holidays so far in our 400 pound, 5 birth folding
caravan towed behind a 100 quid 55 mpg Rover. Ok, there are few home
comforts (our 13 yr old daughter wouldn't have it any other way) but
the bigger sites are pretty well equiped these days and some are
cleaner than most B&B's ;-)

Obviously, if you are lucky enough to find a decent cheap caravan and tow
car, then costs are reduced to the point where they become negligible

[T] Luck did play a part re the car as a mate more or less gave it to
me as he was fed up with spending money on it. Because I can do my own
servicing / repairs (not *want* to but but doing it myself I get a)
value for money and b) a professional job (well I like to think so).
As for the van, not may people would think sleeping in a folding
caravan very 'nice' as it lacks many home comforts found in todays
vans, but, for us sleeping off the floor and behind something thicker
than canvas is a big step up in luxury! I guess what I am saying here
is it's out there if you want it, if it could be your thing .. You
could easily buy a good towcar for a grand (these days) and a clean
van for a bit more (probably, don't know van prices) ..

I'm viewing things from my own perspective - 22 mgg towing (2003 Patrol)
insurance of about +AKM-400 (van valued 14,000), plus servicing (no more Hobby
UK, thanks very much...) and dividing the total cost (including loss of
interest on capital outlay) by the number of weeks (total) that we use the
caravan - and it seems to be working out at an
expensive holiday.

Ouch ... indeed! But, some foolk need a big 4x4 to tow they big fully
fitted caravan. We don't mind 'roughing it' a bit, and as our 13yr old
daughter pointed out the other day whilst looking inside a modern van
... " you could stay at home and just put a poster of the beach up at
the kitchen window! ;-)"

I'd lay a bet that most caravans don't get used for more than five weeks
total per year - that starts to make things VERY expensive indeed.

Van's boats, 2nd / 3rd cars, there are loads of things out there we
buy because we feel we need them but can become costly. For me the
worst so far was a 486 Laptop. Paid 900 quid for it (then) and used it
9 times ... ouch!

My own opinion is that caravanning is about to take a very significant
nose-dive because of rising interest rates & other costs - but that's just
a subjective opinion, and I was interested to learn how much other
caravanners would bear before throwing in the towel and booking a fortnight
in Malaga.

I wouldn't have a fortnight in Malaga if it was free!

Seriously though, I know (from experience) we can all get carried away
with this gear (I can't walk through a caravan store without spending
100 quid) but how much of it is essential? Whatabout getting back to
something simpler? Some folk in my BMW motorcycle club buy the biggest
/ lastest models .. 1200cc, fuel injection ABS etc etc. When we went
to Lands End on our bikes (mines 15 years old and tows a trailer
easily) there were photographs of folk who had done the 'End 2 End' on
display. The happiest looking bunch by far had done it on 90cc Hondas!

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question but it could be an
answer?

All the best ..

T i m (M47, F53)