How much would you pay/

Old August 8th 04, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

Default How much would you pay/

"Tmax" wrote in message

snip

Obviously, if you are lucky enough to find a decent cheap caravan and tow
car, then costs are reduced to the point where they become negligible

We don't have a cheap caravan, but we do have a cheapish car.

I'm viewing things from my own perspective - 22 mgg towing (2003 Patrol)
insurance of about 400 (van valued 14,000), plus servicing (no more Hobby
UK, thanks very much...) and dividing the total cost (including loss of
interest on capital outlay) by the number of weeks (total) that we use the
caravan - and it seems to be working out at an
expensive holiday.

We are probably on a similar mileage. My insurance is around 300 for 500
less value.

I'd lay a bet that most caravans don't get used for more than five weeks
total per year - that starts to make things VERY expensive indeed.

My own opinion is that caravanning is about to take a very significant
nose-dive because of rising interest rates & other costs - but that's

just
a subjective opinion, and I was interested to learn how much other
caravanners would bear before throwing in the towel and booking a

fortnight
in Malaga.

You greatly underestimate the cost of a fortnight in Malaga. We have a large
family (4 children) and tended to go to France for a Eurocamp type holiday.
This cost over 2000, without taking into account any motoring costs other
than petrol. A traditional fortnights foreign holiday at the same time
(start of the Scottish summer holidays) would cost well over 3k with a
further 1k spending money.

Following the great summer weather last year we bought a caravan and have
had over 30 nights so far. I am not keeping a running cost of expenditure,
and we tend to buy new toys (Gazebo and patio heater within the last two
weeks) but I reckon my overall cost has just hit that of my normal fortnight
in France.

There are also other benefits its hard to quantify.

We have explored some areas of France such as the Somme battlefields
repeatedly, yet there is so much of our own country we have never seen. The
caravan has given us a chance to explore places I haven't been for many
years, if ever. The increased security, biometric passports and reduced
availability of flights at peak times make flying a real pain in the
backside. My parents have a caravan as well- we used to borrow it
occasionally before we splashed out on our own- and its good to spend an
occasional weekend at a site with them, whereas we would be unlikely to go
on holiday with them.

Caravanning has been on a real boom in recent years. Partly funded I'm sure
by equity release. Was there ever a sillier phrase than that? Its debt pure
and simple- caravans being paid back over 25 years. As house prices fall
back we will see a drop in the rate of expansion. Sites may need to freeze
fees. Sales of new toys/equipment will fall back, but equally overseas
holidays will dip as well and some of those people will look for caravans.
Very few industries take significant nose dives. They tend to stagnate
instead and I think thats a much more likely scenario for caravanning- a
period of no growth, rather than negative growth. Of course some in the
industry will still see that as a significant disaster, especially if they
have invested a lot in the expectation of substantial growth.

So overall I'm very happy, and by investing in a caravan I have made a
long-term commitment to caravanning.

Neb