How much would you pay/

Old August 8th 04, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Default How much would you pay/

Tmax vaguely muttered something like ...
...to continue caravanning?

Given that fuel is now on a remorseless upward trend, insurance premiums
are increasing year on year,

Mine reduced slightly this year for the same vehicles ... no change in any
circumstances other than change of address.

site charges are becoming farcical

We rarely use sites, but, when we do, if we think they're too much we go
elsewhere ..

(extra for
dog/hook-up/awning/visitors/breathing, etc...),

Depends where you go .. and it's a choice you can make to pay or not.

caravan servicing now
charged at rates comparable to BMW labour costs,

Only if you use main dealers.

plus all the myriad other
expensive extras that caravanning now seems to accrue

Such as ? We have few extra costs ... OK the lights went pop a few weeks
back, but that was fixed better than new by adding a better earth connection
to the chassis and renewing the fuse that popped ... about half an hour
altogether and about 5 in bulbs .. I popped a couple 'testing' them ..

- what would be the
final straw that makes people say, 'That's it - I'm packing it in'?

For what we do we won't pack caravanning in ever .. As I get paid expenses
and a retainer to follow my hobby, the caravan, whatever it costs, will
still be cheaper than hotels etc ..

We use the caravan on average every fortnight all year, though in summer
it's almost every weekend and in winter every three weekends, it varies. It
is a very cheap alternative to hotels and far comfier than tents. We use it
as a mobile hotel and 'pits' for our hobbies, R/C car racing and Trials bike
riding. We do sometimes go away for short holidays too .. a week in
Scarborough starting next week, between two racing weekends, then a week at
home and a then a week away in London, again between two racing weekends ..
Next year we're off to France for the World Championships which is
costing about 450 altogether including ferry etc, which is a saving of
about 600 on flying/rail/driving and hotels. We're also off to the
European Championships in Italy, which will also be significantly cheaper
towing the 'van, including fuel costs etc than with any other deal, as well
as discounted options, we've yet found.

Costs really are significantly cheaper for what we do with a caravan than
with any other method we've used ..

But costs are nothing at all really ... we enjoy caravanning and the feeling
of having one's own possessions, one's own bed for instance, around us when
we're away ...

I also do all my own servicing, including on the car, not for the cost
option, but because I can, and I enjoy it ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks