How much would you pay/

Old August 8th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

Default How much would you pay/

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 00:27:07 +0100, "Tmax" wrote:

...to continue caravanning?

Given that fuel is now on a remorseless upward trend, insurance premiums are
increasing year on year, site charges are becoming farcical (extra for
dog/hook-up/awning/visitors/breathing, etc...), caravan servicing now
charged at rates comparable to BMW labour costs, plus all the myriad other
expensive extras that caravanning now seems to accrue - what would be the
final straw that makes people say, 'That's it - I'm packing it in'?

Must admit its getting that way, we brought a new van 2 years ago and
don't really use it enough.
This year we have used it for our main hols & one long weekend & it
will probably get used for one or two more weekends. for the last 5
years we have taken advantage of cheap flights for spring breaks, this
year Prague last year Rome etc.
Our main holiday in the van this year cost 1400 for only the two of
us just in France, last year Italy with all 4 of us was over 2 grand
its no longer a cheap holiday (in Italy 2 star sites are nearly
30/night for 4).
The main reason we use the van for our main holiday is we prefer the
freedom it gives us, this year we decided where we were going about 2
days before going, 3 years ago we didn't decide until we were on the
ferry, we just know we are going to head somewhere south & warm

Lenny