How much would you pay/

Old August 9th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Default How much would you pay/

"Tmax" wrote in message
...to continue caravanning?

Given that fuel is now on a remorseless upward trend, insurance premiums

are
increasing year on year, site charges are becoming farcical (extra for
dog/hook-up/awning/visitors/breathing, etc...), caravan servicing now
charged at rates comparable to BMW labour costs, plus all the myriad other
expensive extras that caravanning now seems to accrue - what would be the
final straw that makes people say, 'That's it - I'm packing it in'?

There are ways of saving of course. Unless you tow a huge caravan you
certainly don't require a gas-guzzling 4x4. I've towed my Europa 460 NT with
a variety of tow cars from a 1.8 auto Cavalier to (currently) a diesel auto
Rover 75 tourer and they all towed perfectly satisfactorily. The two diesel
that I've towed with have been superb - bags of torque and yet good mpg.
It's the only sensible fuel for towing! Having said that - unless you are
caravanning regularly throughout, or do a lot of foreign caravanning, the
year the mileage you cover towing the caravan is minimal and hardly worth
worrying about.
With regards to servicing costs - it's unavoidable while the caravan is
under warranty but once your three years are up there are alternatives. In
my area I've found a caravan servicer who used to work for one of the big
local dealers who has set up on his own. He comes to your home (or storage
yard) and carries out the servicing there for literally half the price of
the main dealers. You can watch what he's doing and so guarantee that he's
doing everything that the schedule demands (which is more than you can do at
most dealers!) and save all the inconvience of having to hitch up and tow to
the main dealers.
Shop around for insurance (NFU very competitive) and once your caravan is
over 3 (or sometimes 5) years old the cost drops dramatically when you are
no longer insuring 'new for old'.
I still reckon a caravan holiday is good value for money!

Kev

Old August 9th 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Uno Hoo! vaguely muttered something like ...
"Tmax" wrote in message
...to continue caravanning?

Given that fuel is now on a remorseless upward trend, insurance premiums
are increasing year on year, site charges are becoming farcical (extra
for dog/hook-up/awning/visitors/breathing, etc...), caravan servicing now
charged at rates comparable to BMW labour costs, plus all the myriad
other expensive extras that caravanning now seems to accrue - what would
be the final straw that makes people say, 'That's it - I'm packing it
in'?

There are ways of saving of course. Unless you tow a huge caravan you
certainly don't require a gas-guzzling 4x4.

With a light caravan, mine weighs 850 (ish) kgs fully loaded and with all
racing gear on-board, we don't actually suffer much worse fuel consumption
than when solo. We use a Landrover DIscovery 300 Tdi which solo returns
about 27 mpg and towing our van with two adults, two children and everything
for a week away and two weekends racing drops fuel consumtion to about 23
mpg, about a 15% drop, which is a level we can live with ..

And yes, the figures are accurate. I have a log of every penny spent on the
Disco (every car we've ever had in fact) since we bought it.

I've towed my Europa 460 NT
with a variety of tow cars from a 1.8 auto Cavalier to (currently) a
diesel auto Rover 75 tourer and they all towed perfectly satisfactorily.
The two diesel that I've towed with have been superb - bags of torque and
yet good mpg. It's the only sensible fuel for towing!

I agree, though our Renault Laguna suffered a bit more than the Discovery
does when towing the same 'van weight. It used to return around 35 mpg solo
and about 24 mpg towing .. a more significant, about 32%, drop than with our
current vehicle.

Having said that -
unless you are caravanning regularly throughout, or do a lot of foreign
caravanning, the year the mileage you cover towing the caravan is minimal
and hardly worth worrying about.

As we tow significant mileages we prefer the security that the weight
advantage a 4x4 gives us, as well as needing it when dragging the 'van down
the forest tracks and across muddy fields we invariably need to manouvre
over when we get there .. As it costs us roughly the same to tow with
the Disco as it did with the Laguna, we're well pleased. The fact that we
enjoy the ride, the extra room, bootspace and comfort in the Disco is also a
bonus ..

We do also use the Disco for a lot more than towing, such as for my sisters
horse boxes and on her farm, as well as for 4x4 Trials and 'playdays' in
quarries etc ... it's more than a dual-purpose 4x4, it actually gets used in
every area of our lives, including shopping. We are seriously considering
another one as a second car for my wife .. Not for the school run,
incidentally, our children walk to school ...

I still reckon a caravan holiday is good value for money!

Ho yuss ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks