Excessive road noise

Old September 23rd 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
roy

Default Excessive road noise

Has anybody experienced excessive road noise from their car tyres after
towing.
I have a BMW 320D Touring which has a factory fitted tow bar (when BMW fit a
tow bar they fit uprated suspension springs). It is just 2 years old, has
done 30,000 miles and has Michelin ZXM tyres fitted. Earlier this year
during and after touring my caravan to the South of France I noticed that
occasionally on some road surfaces I got a harsh drumming noise in the car.
My local dealer took it for a test drive and said that it was the tyres that
were causing it to make this noise. He suggested that the only remedy was to
renew the tyres, this seemed a bit excessive as they have 6mm of tread still
left on them.
I have just returned from touring my van to Spain and the times that the
noise appears has increased significantly. I spoke to the Caravan Club
technical department and they had never had experience of this problem. I
spoke to a guy in the technical department of Michelin and he said that the
tyres might have "saw tooth wear". With the strain of pulling a caravan with
the increased load etc. the blocks on the tyres wear to a "launching pad"
pattern. This does seem feasible as only part of the tread would be on the
ground especially on light load, (the noise disappears when I put power to
the rear wheels by accelerating), it noisier on rough surface roads and
disappears on the new smooth surface motorways.
I wonder whether the combination of the uprated suspension plus Michelin
tyres which have a hard compound is causing the problem.
If anybody has experienced this problem, or if anybody tows with a similar
setup to mine whether or not they have this problem, I would appreciate some
feed back.
Regards.
Roy Gallafant

Old September 24th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"roy" wrote in message
[...]

I have not experienced this problem myself - although I do believe that
modern cars (surprisingly) appear to transmit more road noise through to the
cabin than older cars. Maybe this is because engine noise is now so subdued
that the driver is more concious of road noise? Maybe it's the move to lower
profile cars on mainstream cars and the propensity of highways authorities
to save money by 'tarring and chipping' road surfaces rather than doing a
proper job?
The saw-tooth wear you describe - also referred to as 'castellated wear' or
'feathering' is invariably caused by poor wheel alignment rather than
towing. Have you had an alignment check carried out?

Note this from the Dunlop web site:
A typical example of the wear pattern caused by front wheel mis-alignment.
(Toe-in or toe-out) The edge of the tread is "feathered" and worn
progressively from one side. The wear ridges can be felt by drawing a hand
across the tread.

Kev

Old September 24th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Would it be worth swapping the front and back wheels to see if that makes a
difference...that would tell whether it is specific to the back tyres at
least?

Old September 24th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Old September 24th 04, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JB

"stephent" wrote in message
Would it be worth swapping the front and back wheels to see if that makes

difference...that would tell whether it is specific to the back tyres at
least?

Maybe putting offside to near side may change the sound.
That is if the tyre can run both ways.