Re Broadband provider.

Old September 26th 04, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Roberts

Default Re Broadband provider.

Thanks to everyone who has commented. Will be looking closely at what i get
for my money.

Jim & Carol R

Old October 11th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Do you have Firewall by Zone Alarm on your Broadband?

I've just set up Tesco.net broadband from thier dial up service and the
first thing that Zonealarm did was to ask me to confirm my settings by
queiring my setting of use 'dial up' as my internet connection.
Chosses it gives are, dialup. DSL, Cable, Wireless, and TI

My Broadband is ADSL is this DSL?

Tesco do not seem to know what DSL is, and said leave as dial up.
Anyone any ideas?

Please reply to News Group.

Old October 11th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:09:03 GMT, "David"
wrote:

Do you have Firewall by Zone Alarm on your Broadband?

I've just set up Tesco.net broadband from thier dial up service and the
first thing that Zonealarm did was to ask me to confirm my settings by
queiring my setting of use 'dial up' as my internet connection.
Chosses it gives are, dialup. DSL, Cable, Wireless, and TI

My Broadband is ADSL is this DSL?

Tesco do not seem to know what DSL is, and said leave as dial up.
Anyone any ideas?

DSL is synchronous - same speed for up & down line traffic, standard
in USA & Canada and you can get it in UK on expensive business links.
ADSL is as- synchronous you only get 256k upstream regardless of your
down stream speed.

Some USB broardband modems us the PC's dial up networking to connect
others use a virtual network connection.
The setting of zone alarm probably won't make much difference but if
you are using a proper ADSL modem set it ti DSL.

Lenny

Old October 11th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

wrote:

Do you have Firewall by Zone Alarm on your Broadband?

I've just set up Tesco.net broadband from thier dial up service and the
first thing that Zonealarm did was to ask me to confirm my settings by
queiring my setting of use 'dial up' as my internet connection.
Chosses it gives are, dialup. DSL, Cable, Wireless, and TI

My Broadband is ADSL is this DSL?

Tesco do not seem to know what DSL is, and said leave as dial up.
Anyone any ideas?

DSL is synchronous - same speed for up & down line traffic, standard

No it isn't.

DSL is the generic term for both ADSL and SDSL. ADSL is, as you say,
Asynchronous, and is what we have for domestic use in this country at
present. SDSL is synchronous.

It really doesn't matter what you tell Zonealarm. All it means is that
its own net access will be optimised for the speed of your connection.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Never deprive someone of hope; it may be all they have.

Old October 12th 04, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
DSL is synchronous - same speed for up & down line traffic, standard

No it isn't.

DSL is the generic term for both ADSL and SDSL. ADSL is, as you say,
Asynchronous, and is what we have for domestic use in this country at
present. SDSL is synchronous.

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line
ADSL = Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line
SDSL = Symmetric Digital Line
Synchronous = timing information contained within the data signal
Asynchronous = untimed - data contained between a start and stop bit

(I knew it would come in useful someday)

Roy

Old October 12th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:43:23 +0100, "Roy" wrote:

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
.. .
DSL is synchronous - same speed for up & down line traffic, standard

No it isn't.

DSL is the generic term for both ADSL and SDSL. ADSL is, as you say,
Asynchronous, and is what we have for domestic use in this country at
present. SDSL is synchronous.

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line
ADSL = Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line
SDSL = Symmetric Digital Line
Synchronous = timing information contained within the data signal
Asynchronous = untimed - data contained between a start and stop bit

(I knew it would come in useful someday)

Oops.

I knew it was symmetric, not synchronous really :-)

I was responding to the OP, without thinking about that part of it :-(