battery terminal question.

Old September 27th 04, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jon frohmaier

Default battery terminal question.

Hi,

I have just bought a caravan, and the wires for the battery have had the
connectors cut off. Therefore I don't know which is positive and which
is negative. How can you find out, prior to connecting a battery?

thanks
--
Jon Frohmaier
Old September 27th 04, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Could it have been jon frohmaier who typed:

|| Hi,
|| I have just bought a caravan, and the wires for the battery have had
|| the connectors cut off. Therefore I don't know which is positive and
|| which is negative. How can you find out, prior to connecting a
|| battery?
|| thanks
|| --
|| Jon Frohmaier

I would hope the wires are colour coded Black for negative and Red for
positive,!

---

Old September 27th 04, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Old September 27th 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:28:44 +0100, "Des" wrote:

Could it have been jon frohmaier who typed:

|| Hi,
|| I have just bought a caravan, and the wires for the battery have had
|| the connectors cut off. Therefore I don't know which is positive and
|| which is negative. How can you find out, prior to connecting a
|| battery?
|| thanks
|| --
|| Jon Frohmaier

I would hope the wires are colour coded Black for negative and Red for
positive,!

Normally UK vans are Green - Positive, White - Ground.

Turn the charger on and check with a voltmeter.

Lenny
Old September 27th 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

Old September 27th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Harwood

"jon frohmaier" wrote in message

Hi,

I have just bought a caravan, and the wires for the battery have had the
connectors cut off. Therefore I don't know which is positive and which
is negative. How can you find out, prior to connecting a battery?

thanks
--
Jon Frohmaier

The negative wire will be a common ground with the chassis of the van. Take
a voltmeter and put it on the ohms setting, put one lead to any metal point
of the van and then touch the other onto one of the battery leads, the
negative lead will be the one that shows zero (or nearly zero) ohms, in
other words a short circuit.

Brian

Old September 28th 04, 06:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jon frohmaier

Brian,

thanks for your constructive response.