Do you tow with Octavia or Passat TDi?

Old September 30th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
henry partridge

Default Do you tow with Octavia or Passat TDi?

Looking at these 2 for towcar: any experiences good or bad, info
appreciated.

Please reply via NG not direct: email address not used due to kind
spammers!!

Old October 1st 04, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Over the past 10 years I have towed with various members of that family i.e.
Audio 80 estate, Seat Toledo and at present VWPassat 130 Estate. All towing
the same caravan, and have been excellent.
Stewart

Old October 1st 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
liz hall

My colleague tows a fairly large old van with a Passat TDi and he has not
reported any problems and has towed for many years with many cars. The car
is one of our fleet cars and like the Mondeos gives very little problems.
Like us he fits a stabiliser bar.
Liz

Old October 1st 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:01:47 +0100, "henry partridge"
wrote:

Looking at these 2 for towcar: any experiences good or bad, info
appreciated.

Hi Henry
I've towed with a VW Bora (using the 100PS TDi engine) - pulling a van
at nearly 1300kgs - didn't cause the engine to struggle at all.
Managed 35mpg while towing (50mpg solo). Unfortunately, the car
wasn't really heavy enough - so I've bought a Pajero for towing...
Regards
Simon

Old October 1st 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"henry partridge" enquired;
Looking at these 2 for towcar: any experiences good or bad, info
appreciated.

----****----
I've towed with two Octavia Estates; first, a chipped 110bhp diesel one, and
the current 130bhp PD diesel one.

I've found both to be excellent towcars. The old 2000 model was traded-in in
April, with over 80,000miles on the clock; only needed oil, cam-belt change,
battery and tyres. It was on it's original exhaust.

The new one has 6 gears and, on the flat at ~60mph and above, 6th gear is
perfectly useable. Last w/e went 80 miles, using some M25 and A21 into Kent,
and did 35mpg with the Hobby on tow; usually around 30mpg though.

The only 'problem', compared to the Passat, is a 1300kg Max Permissible
Towing Mass, even though the KW is over 1400kg, and a 60kg max load on the
towbar.

Neither of these limits affect me, but a heavier 'van could push you towards
the heavier and much more expensive (and less economical) Passat. (same
mechanicals, just a N-S engine rather than E-W in the Octavia)

Best VFM towcar around I reckon, provided your 'van is light enough. The new
model with 140bhp 2.0l diesel engine and DSG auto-box should be even more
brilliant.

Cheers, Doc.