Caravan roof markings

Old October 5th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
simon

Default Caravan roof markings

seen this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2274259 672

is it any good?
Old October 5th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Lander

seen this on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2274259 672
is it any good?

It is advised NOT to use your postcode.

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)
www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk a special interest section of
The Camping and Caravanning Club.

Old October 6th 04, 06:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:17:52 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Lander"
wrote:

| seen this on eBay.
| http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2274259 672
| is it any good?
|
| It is advised NOT to use your postcode.

Why not?
I thought the object was to tell the police chopper who owns it.

--
Dave F
Old October 6th 04, 06:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old October 6th 04, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
david mahar

wrote:

| seen this on eBay.
| http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2274259 672
| is it any good?
|
| It is advised NOT to use your postcode.

Why not?
I thought the object was to tell the police chopper who owns it.

But it also tells (unscrupulous) people that you are not at home

Regards

Dave

--
David Mahar david at mahar dot demon dot co dot uk
Tel: +44 (0)1594 562054

Old October 6th 04, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
david mahar

Old October 6th 04, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

wrote:

| seen this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2274259 672
| is it any good?
|
| It is advised NOT to use your postcode.

Why not?
I thought the object was to tell the police chopper who owns it.

There's very little chance of plod using a helicopter to look for your
caravan.

It's the same argument as "should we fit a tracker?" so before going ahead
think it through:

Q, Who's most likely to steal your van?
A. Pikeys

Q. When are they most likely top steal it?
A. In the middle of the night

Q. When are you going to find out about it?
A. Some hours later, when it's light enough for plod to stumble accross it
in their helicopter.

Now, unless you're very lucky the van will already have been damaged during
the theft and if it's already on a pikey site it's going to have a family
living in it. If it's on the road and plod in the area are feeling brave
they might retrieve it for you but if it's on a site there's no way they'll
go in and get it back, plod are terrified of Pikeys. So now you're in the
situation of knowing where your 'van is, knowing it's getting damaged more
all
the time, knowing it's effectively inaccessible and knowing the insurance
company wont pay out for the theft of a 'van when everybody knows where it
is.

Without the postcode marker it'd be a simple theft and you'd be paid out
four weeks
later, with it easily identified you could be waiting ages. Even if you get
the van
back when the Pikeys leave the site (cos plod's tipped them off that they
know the van's stolen so leave it behind) are you going to want it back?

Rgds

Andy R

Old October 6th 04, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

Old October 6th 04, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 08:16:45 +0100, "Andy R" wrote:

| Q, Who's most likely to steal your van?
| A. Pikeys

Oh Bl**d* H*ll not that again :-(

Please buy another record.