caravan insurance

Old October 8th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Default caravan insurance

I know that this subject has been aired many times but I have a new query.
I got quotes from various insurers and on the basis of comments here went
for NFU. Before cancelling my old policy and accepting new I asked the
sales assistant what I would need in way of security devices and was told a
hitchlock would be OK.
I sent off the cheque and notified previous insurer that I would not be
renewing. I was then disappointed to get a phone call from NFU to be told
that I would need a wheelclamp on each and every occasion when the caravan
is not attached to the car.
My wheel clamp is a SAS and I never take it on holiday as it is far too
heavy.
Can anyone tell me of a cheap lightweight wheel clamp that I can use when
away from home?
It seems to me that the NFU is not concerned with the type but that one is
fitted.
Thank you.

Old October 9th 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

We are insured with NFU, and our policy states either hitchlock or
wheelclamp. Having said that, on site we always use both, and at stops when
leaving the caravan unattended (albeit hitched up) we put the wheelclamp on.
Can't remember the brand name, but very easy to put on, it locks on to two
wheel nuts, where the original supplied nuts had to be replaced (by the
selling dealer, in our case) with special ones.

Old October 9th 04, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

The SAS wheelclamp has special studs but is very heavy. I just want
something light and easy to use.
I do not really care if the caravan is stolen, apart from the inconvenience,
as long as I get compensation.
I take the same attitude as a caravan dealer once told me regarding fire; he
said to buy the smallest fire extinguisher then in the event of a fire set
it off, get out and claim for a new caravan!!

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
"Stewart" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me of a cheap lightweight wheel clamp that I can use

when
snip
snip

Old October 11th 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:57:05 +0100, "Stewart"
wrote:

[...]

I recently brought a lightweight made by Pyramid Products, for that
very reason, it wouldn't really deter anyone but complies with NFU's
requirements. I got it from Essex Camping on ebay about 18.

Lenny