Carrying 4 Bikes

Old October 10th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBERT HILL

Default Carrying 4 Bikes

Anybody any ideas for carrying 4 bikes on a 4x4 while
towing. ?

Rob.

Old October 10th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

"ROBERT HILL" wrote in message
Anybody any ideas for carrying 4 bikes on a 4x4 while
towing. ?

Rob.

We dont have a 4x4, but we carry up to 6 bikes. 4 go on the roof and 2 on a
back mounted carrier. We got most of our carriers from Halfords. The roof
mounted ones just bolt onto roofbars. We have a Mitsubishi Space Wagon which
is taller than a standard car, but not as tall as most 4x4's. I stand on my
caravan step when lifting the bikes up.

One of our back carriers is an american model and it says suitable for up to
4 bikes. We have never carried more than 3 on it however. We have also
carried bikes in the caravan, well wrapped in old blankets to prevent any
damage. You could possibly get 3 on a back carrier and one in the van.

Neb

Old October 10th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham Lunn

In article ,
says...

"ROBERT HILL" wrote in message
Anybody any ideas for carrying 4 bikes on a 4x4 while
towing. ?

Rob.

We dont have a 4x4, but we carry up to 6 bikes. 4 go on the roof and 2 on a
back mounted carrier. We got most of our carriers from Halfords. The roof
mounted ones just bolt onto roofbars. We have a Mitsubishi Space Wagon which
is taller than a standard car, but not as tall as most 4x4's. I stand on my
caravan step when lifting the bikes up.

One of our back carriers is an american model and it says suitable for up to
4 bikes. We have never carried more than 3 on it however. We have also
carried bikes in the caravan, well wrapped in old blankets to prevent any
damage. You could possibly get 3 on a back carrier and one in the van.

Neb

As above, not a 4x4 but a Citroen Picasso, so the roof height and width
should be similar.

I use Thule roof bars and racks to hold 2 bikes and a trike, so 5 bikes
should be ok on the roof, not sure about the sixth one. I can recommend
having a chat with the technical people at Thule in Bristol. They were
very helpful to me, coming up with an economical solution for the trike.

I use Thule's 591 racks which are expensive but very easy to load.

As above, I stand on the caravan step to load the bikes.

If you need to get a rear rack my vote goes for the type with a tray for
the wheels and a clamp on frame holder. In my experience they are much
quicker to load, the bikes don't get damaged and you don't get dirty
tieing them on.

Best of luck

Graham

Old October 11th 04, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"ROBERT HILL" wrote in message
Anybody any ideas for carrying 4 bikes on a 4x4 while
towing. ?

Rob.

I've got double bike racks mounted front and back of the van. Works ok but
have to take the front ones off to unhitch........can't get the jockey wheel
down.

Paul

Old October 11th 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

ROBERT HILL vaguely muttered something like ...
Anybody any ideas for carrying 4 bikes on a 4x4 while
towing. ?

Rob.

Roof rack .. We use one on a Discovery, or in the caravan ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!