Indicator Repater Light/Buzzer?

Old October 13th 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter A Forbes

Default Indicator Repater Light/Buzzer?

This may have been discussed before, so sorry if it is a repeat of an old
discussion.

We have just taken delivery of a new Renault Trafic van with factory-fitted
towbar and 13-pin electrics. We use the trailer for work, but more importantly
also for home :-))

After we found that the electrics socket was not recognised by most caravan
shops we tried locally (Wellingborough) we found a converter in halfords that
worked out of the box.

Question is, should the vehicle have a repeater/buzzer for the trailer
indicators? The previous van did, and the one before also. Indespension reckon
one is required by law, but cannot quote chapter and verse.

Various places were asked and some thought it only applied to European
countries, in which case why don't I have it fitted? (actually, this is a
Luton-assembled vehicle)

Any thoughts? or even better, can someone point me to definitive legislation?

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes
Email Address:

Web Pages for Engine Preservation:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Old October 13th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Murphy

Yup, you need audible or visual warning.

This is usually provided by the same relay that maintains the flash rate
when you connect up the trailer - the flasher rate slows down with the
increased current. (I think it has to be 60/min or thereabouts but don't
quote me). Try the camping and caravan club, caravan club, or towsure's site
( or maybe Witter as well) and you might find some info there.

Best thing is to get your flashers going (so to speak), then connect-up a
trailer board (or of course your van) and see if the flasher rate slows
down. If it does, you don't have the relay. If it doesn't - then I'm not
quite sure whats what.

Old October 13th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

I presume you mean the indicator warning, for when coupled up to a trailed
device, fitted to the towing vehicle. There is no problem with using one of
these. I have one in my Volvo 945 and have also got the trailer repeat
warning light on the dash fitted (standard on my version). I am about to
change the indicator lamp lens from the double arrow symbol to the caravan
symbol which was used on an earlier model of Volvo.

Cheers, Peter.

Old October 14th 04, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:59:12 +0000 (UTC), Peter A Forbes
wrote:

snip

Question is, should the vehicle have a repeater/buzzer for the trailer
indicators? The previous van did, and the one before also. Indespension reckon
one is required by law, but cannot quote chapter and verse.

Any thoughts? or even better, can someone point me to definitive legislation?

What is actually required is that the driver must have a way of
telling if the indicators are working.

This is specified in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989,
Schedule 7, section 11(b).
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_12.htm#nsch7

I believe it is acceptable if the trailer connections are linked to
the vehicle ones in such a way that the light on the dashboard does
not flash unless ALL of the indicators are working.

More common is to have a separate buzzer or light that only
flashes/buzzes when the trailer indicator is flashing.

Old October 14th 04, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter A Forbes

Default Indicator Repeater Light/Buzzer?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:41:40 +0100, Alex Heney wrote:

What is actually required is that the driver must have a way of
telling if the indicators are working.

This is specified in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989,
Schedule 7, section 11(b).
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_12.htm#nsch7

I believe it is acceptable if the trailer connections are linked to
the vehicle ones in such a way that the light on the dashboard does
not flash unless ALL of the indicators are working.

More common is to have a separate buzzer or light that only
flashes/buzzes when the trailer indicator is flashing.

That is the regulation section that I was looking at, but it is a little bit
ambiguous in specifying exactly what is required, although it does include the
trailer indicators.

At present, there is no difference in warning to the driver of the vehicle if
the trailer is on the van or off it.

It's no big deal operationally, but I think I'll try and get it sorted out
properly with Renault as I don't want to get pulled by the Law for having the
wrong equipment fitted!

Thanks,

Peter

Old October 14th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

With the installation on my car the relay has an extra contact which
operates only when the trailer lighting is connected to the car's wiring.
This lights an extra light on the dash display. I also have a buzzer wired
in at the rear.

Cheers, Peter.