Warning device?

Old October 14th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David B

Default Warning device?

Is there any warning device available to let you know if you have 'lost' the
caravan or trailer you are towing? This might be useful for vehicles towing
small trailers and who have poor rear vision (coaches towing ski racks for
example) ...

Old October 14th 04, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

David B vaguely muttered something like ...
Is there any warning device available to let you know if you have 'lost'
the caravan or trailer you are towing? This might be useful for vehicles
towing small trailers and who have poor rear vision (coaches towing ski
racks for example) ...

The 'feel' of the vehicle ...

Seriously I don't know of any commercial device (Not counting the indicator
indicators) but it should be easy to rig something up. To be honest, is
this a problem that needs addressing, or just a muse on possibilities ?

I can't remember ever seeing anyone ever actually completely 'lose' a towed
trailer / caravan, unless they were doing something congenitally st00pid ..

I have seen a trailer lose a wheel, which caused horrendous problems for a
following Volvo, as I'm pretty sure Volvo's aren't meant to be launched 3'
into the air ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old October 14th 04, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David B

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
David B vaguely muttered something like ...
Is there any warning device available to let you know if you have 'lost'
the caravan or trailer you are towing? This might be useful for vehicles
towing small trailers and who have poor rear vision (coaches towing ski
racks for example) ...

The 'feel' of the vehicle ...

Seriously I don't know of any commercial device (Not counting the
indicator
indicators) but it should be easy to rig something up. To be honest, is
this a problem that needs addressing, or just a muse on possibilities ?

I can't remember ever seeing anyone ever actually completely 'lose' a
towed
trailer / caravan, unless they were doing something congenitally st00pid
..

I have seen a trailer lose a wheel, which caused horrendous problems for a
following Volvo, as I'm pretty sure Volvo's aren't meant to be launched 3'
into the air ...

I was thinking very specifically of a car or a 7.5 ton lorry or a coach
towing a much smaller trailer where the driver wouldn't notice unless he
happened to be checking the rear view mirror at the time. I believe this has
happened to a coach towing a ski-trailer.

Old October 14th 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:05:00 +0100, "David B"
wrote:

| Is there any warning device available to let you know if you have 'lost' the
| caravan or trailer you are towing? This might be useful for vehicles towing
| small trailers and who have poor rear vision (coaches towing ski racks for
| example) ...

I sometimes tow a small baggage trailer which is invisible in a car rear
view mirror. I put a small flag on the trailer so that I could check on
it.

There are also Fresnel (thin plastic)
http://www.lanternroom.com/misc/freslens.htm lenses which allow you to see
into blind spots.

--
Dave F

Old October 14th 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old October 14th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:14:01 +0100, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

I have seen a trailer lose a wheel, which caused horrendous problems for a
following Volvo, as I'm pretty sure Volvo's aren't meant to be launched 3'
into the air ...

Stereotypically, as a bike rider I thnk they should be (then they will
know what it feels like ..) ;-)

T i m

Old October 14th 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I can't remember ever seeing anyone ever actually completely 'lose' a
towed
trailer / caravan, unless they were doing something congenitally st00pid

Maybe not, but I've always got a nagging feeling that it is no longer there
when towing small trailers. I haven't a hope in hell of seeing them except
when nearly jackknifed. I've been known to indicate spuriously as a security
blanket to hear those comforting chirping tones.

Christian.