Anyone towing with a 1.4i Astra?

Old October 14th 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

Default Anyone towing with a 1.4i Astra?

Hi All,

The SRi I asked about a while back needed too much work and through a
'vehicle upgrade program' (Dag get's a new car, niece gets his old
car, we ger her old car) we have now aquired a 93 Astra1.4i in pretty
good condition, with luxuries like power steering, central locking,
electric windows (more things to go wrong in my mind but that's
progress?) so better for the missus to use as school ferry / work
commute / shopping trolly (than the tired 2L GL Sierra Estate).

It would seem a 'basic' towbar is twice the price of the one I just
fitted to the Rover 218SD and then I'm not sure how well it would tow
a (braked) Rapido Confortmatic (~350kg) or the (braked) 1/2 tonne
goods trailer if we had to (170K on the Rover, won't last forever.. )?

I don't expect it to be 'ideal' as a tug but I just wondered if it was
feasable for the above before I waste time / money on a towbar ..?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Anyone got a spare towbar for a 93 Astra 4dr saloon please?
Old October 14th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

It would seem a 'basic' towbar is twice the price of the one I just
fitted to the Rover 218SD and then I'm not sure how well it would tow
a (braked) Rapido Confortmatic (~350kg) or the (braked) 1/2 tonne
goods trailer if we had to (170K on the Rover, won't last forever.. )?

I would imagine you could have a go towing 350-500kg braked trailers using a
Sinclair C5! Your main problem is preventing a gust of wind blowing the wee
things away. The current Astra 1.4 states it is good for 1000kg, but the
older model may be different.

Given that a Witter towbar for the Astra can be had new for 119 quid
including single electrics (but not fitting), I'd be amazed you could find
one for a 218SD for half that!

Christian.

Old October 14th 04, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:44:30 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

It would seem a 'basic' towbar is twice the price of the one I just
fitted to the Rover 218SD and then I'm not sure how well it would tow
a (braked) Rapido Confortmatic (~350kg) or the (braked) 1/2 tonne
goods trailer if we had to (170K on the Rover, won't last forever.. )?

I would imagine you could have a go towing 350-500kg braked trailers using a
Sinclair C5! Your main problem is preventing a gust of wind blowing the wee
things away. The current Astra 1.4 states it is good for 1000kg, but the
older model may be different.

Given that a Witter towbar for the Astra can be had new for 119 quid
including single electrics (but not fitting), I'd be amazed you could find
one for a 218SD for half that!

Christian.

Hi Christian,

Hmmm, still got my C5 .. might give it a try (won't blow away with
16st on me in it! ..) ;-)

Ok on the towing weights ..

The Towsure price for a 'basic' tow bar (*I'm* not towing aything
chunky) for the Rover 218SD is 48.94 quid (you suitably amazed
Christian g)

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?d...235&p=5533&op=

For the Astra it's 63.94 (not as much as I thought)

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?d...268&p=5757&op=

... plus 6.94 for the basic wiring kit .. ?

I put a 'non expensive / non branded' tow bar on the 2L Sierra Est
when it was a couple of weeks old (Company car) and 22 years later and
after towing things I probably shouldn't (Cobra kit car on a 4w
trailer for one) and carrying my Daughters TY80 trials bike across the
back on a towbar mounted rack (not at the same time g) it still
seems fine?

I dare say fitting it carefully and properly may of helped it stay
there ...I'm more surprised the back of the Sierra is still there
actually!

All the best ..

T i m (having / choosing to live in economy mode ..)

Old October 14th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

wrote:

[...]

Saw an Astra ( ? 1.4 ) towing a 1995 Elldis Wisp Ovation 350/2 at Elvaston
Castle CC site a couple of weeks ago . If my memory is not failing me that 'Van
has a MAM of 850 Kg.

Now can some one tell me what MAM means.

Cheers All

DieSea

Old October 14th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ray fisher

"DieSea" wrote in message
Now can some one tell me what MAM means.

Maximum Authorised Mass (translates as max laden weight)

Old October 14th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ray fisher

Old October 14th 04, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

Now can some one tell me what MAM means.

Maximum Authorised Mass (translates as max laden weight)

Suppose that means maximum laden weight of the caravan

Thanks Ray

DieSea