Where is the best place to sell a caravan?

Old October 14th 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jon

Default Where is the best place to sell a caravan?

In June last year we had our caravan stolen. It had provided many memorable holidays and we were devastated to lose it.

As we were going to France for our holiday with the van in the August we decided to buy a new caravan thinking we would have many years of use out of it. We had a superb three weeks in the Dordogne and Loire regions of France but while in Saumur we came across details of a beautiful gite complex. To cut a long story short we saw the place in the October, moved to France in January and by April it was ours.

We brought our caravan with us but now realise we won't ever have the chance to use it - we are busy with guests here all year round and can't leave for a holiday - I am sure you will all agree how much of a hardship it is being stuck here all the time. So sadly we have decided to sell the van and all the contents.

Hence the question in the subject. Where is the best place to sell the van? Should we advertise in a caravan magazine or somewhere like AutoTrader? Would it be better to take it to a dealer in the UK even though we would get a lot less? Would people be interested in buying an English van in France where it could be kept (I am happy to offer free storage to anyone buying it) or am I better off taking it to the UK.?

I have the chance to take the van to the UK in the next month or so and I can probably find a place to park it but I can't stay more than a couple of days to sell it.

So all suggestions, thoughts and ideas would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance

www.lacroixjoreau.com Cottages and Apartments in the Loire Valley of France

Old October 18th 04, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
lambert

I saw the photo on your wesite...
The best place to sell YOUR caravan is certainly
one where people drive of the left-hand side of the road!
Old October 18th 04, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
lambert

Old October 23rd 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
·´¯`·.¸¸.·>

"Jon" a écrit dans le message de news:
Where is the best place to sell the van?

Dear Jon,

I had virtually the same problem as you.
I realised that the best place to sell my van would be in the UK, but to get
the best price it should be sold privately and I would need to be in the UK
for a long time to advertise and deal with potential purchasers.

I couldn't afford that time.

So I had a word with the dealer who supplied the 'van. I undertook to return
from France with the 'van in the Spring when sales were picking up. He
undertook to buy the 'van back, but, as expected, at a price only at little
more than half of the new price two years before. But the big advantage to
me was that I could tow it from France and be certain of getting rid of it
in a short timescale, which was important to me.

In the Spring I booked a cheap ferry (car and caravan via P&O Calais/Dover
only 80? - but only available on the French P&O web page!) and a cheap
flight back (Ryanair - only 52 pence plus taxes!).

As it happened a friend expressed interest in both the caravan and the
Landcruiser as a package deal - so I sold both to him for the trade-in
prices. So I got an assured quick turn-round and got rid of car and caravan
and a lot of worry quickly, he got a bargain. Everyone happy!

Back in France I got into the little French car I'd left at Bergerac airport
and drove back home unencumbered by two items that would have been a real
pain to re-register in France.
HTH,
Ian

--