HitchDrive

Old October 14th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JK Archibald

Default HitchDrive

Has anyone come across a HitchDrive http://www.hitchdrive.com/main.html
(manual caravan mover costing 250). Keen to hear from anyone who has one -
is it any good?

Old October 14th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"JK Archibald" wrote in message
Has anyone come across a HitchDrive http://www.hitchdrive.com/main.html
(manual caravan mover costing 250). Keen to hear from anyone who has
one -
is it any good?

We have one and we're pleased with it - but you must understand that if
you're on a slope the Hitchdrive works best - in fact only works at all - if
it's at the bottom of the slope, taking all the weight on its wheel. If it
has to PULL a weight up a slope its wheel simply slips.

It works very well otherwise. Takes time but little effort. It's useful not
to have to unhitch it between using and to be able to use it as a third leg.
That should be fifth leg ...

Mary

Old October 16th 04, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"JK Archibald" wrote in message
Has anyone come across a HitchDrive http://www.hitchdrive.com/main.html
(manual caravan mover costing 250). Keen to hear from anyone who has

one -
is it any good?

I bought one last year and found it useless for my needs. I wanted it to
assist in positioning the caravan on uneven pitches. I found it would not
pull the van (an Avondale Dart 380/2) up the slightest slope on grass. The
wheel merely dug a hole where it stood. I thought I had wasted 200 but in
a discussion on this NG I gave my opinion of the thing and said anyone who
was keen could have it for 100. It was snapped up immediately so my loss
was halved.

I know Mary Fisher and Spouse have found it suited their requirements. Since
last year it has been modified by the manufacturers and now the tyre has a
much deeper tread and there is a plate on the front on which you can put
your foot. My advice would be to see it demonstrated on grass and check it
will pull the van up a slight slope. That is if you require it to be used
on campsites. Also it is a horrible purple colour.

Regards.

Dave

Old October 16th 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dave Dew" wrote in message

[...]

I agree about the colour, it's offensive.

We considered buying the upgrade, by which is possible to bring our original
HD to the new model standard but decided that it was too expensive for our
infrequent use. , after thinking about the physics of the problem, we
modified our method of putting the 'van into its place, by 'pushing' it up
the drive with the HD instead of pulling it. As I said earlier, the weight
must be ON the HD otherwise it won't grip. By doing this we've made parking
the 'van very easy.

I suggest that a 'test drive' should be made using this principle and not
expect a small wheel to pull a load up a slope, when gravity works against
you instead of with you.

When we first had a caravan we had no means except muscle to get it up our
drive, it was very difficult. Then we bought a sh Powr wheel which was
helpful but heavy and a nuisance to store. I also think, with hindsight,
that the Powr wheel would probably have worked far better if we'd used it to
psh rather than pull the 'van.

Apart from being lightish and not taking uch room, another good feature of
the HD is that it can stay in the - er - clasping thing (I can't remember
the word) and be replaced with a foot on site.

On the soft ground matter, we tried to use it at the bottom of a sloping
rough pasture in very heavy rain in August.and it didn't really help - but I
doubt that any device would have worked well under those conditions, sheer
brute weight from four hefty men was the only way we could move the 'van,
the very wheels sank into the ground. At the end of the weekend we didn't
even try to take the car down to draw the 'van, it was taken off by the
country rangers' tractor. That's been the only time we haven't been able to
move the 'van on grass with the HD.

These are personal opinions, the device suits us and our usage. I must say
that our 'van is a 1970s 12' lightweight Sprint, not a large modern one with
lots of heavy equipment. It's parked in our front garden (yes, I KNOW) and
to get there it has to go over a kerb and up a sloping drive. We don't use
it every weekend, more like three or four times a year. We are nearer 70
than 60 and although Spouse is stronger and fitter than most younger men he
lacks the sheer mass of most of them (I'm pleased to say) so we are grateful
for some mechanical assistance.

For a budget aid to moving a caravan or trailer, if you can bear the colour
and are prepared to accept its limitations, the Hitchdrive is a winner.
We're going to fit the necessary sized clasp thing (sorry again) to our
(ancient, modified and heavy) trailer tent so that we can use the Hitch
Drive with it.

Mary

Old October 16th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JK Archibald

Thanks for all the advice.

We are interested to know if the HitchDrive would push (not pull) our
caravan - a Lunar Quaser 615 (twin axle) - up our brick weave drive. The
Caravan weighs in at 1450kg so it is not a 'heavy' twin axle. Our drive is
on a slight slope but nothing too excessive.

To buy an expensive mover seems overkill - as I can and do reverse the
caravan in most of the time. The road can be busy though so reversing is
often stressful. I thought the HitchDrive could do the job for me with less
stress on my part! On site I am happy to reverse the caravan into position
so am less worried about how the HitchDrive operates on grass - wet or dry,
flat or sloping.

Do you both think it will PUSH a 1450kg caravan up a slope on brick
weave...? If it can do that I will live with the colour!!

Old October 16th 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

[...]

I think so. It will be slow but the tiller makes positioning easy. I would
expect a brick paved drive to give more traction than our tarmac.

Mary