Detachable Towbars

Old October 16th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary

Default Detachable Towbars

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my choice of detachable towbar.

I have a golf mark 4 and following a somewhat heated debate with the wife
along the lines of ugly towbar on the family car etc, I am looking for a
detachable towbar which leaves as little as possible on view with the towbar
removed. I am considering the Witter Quantum but looking at their fitting
instructions they mention that a section of bumber may need to be cut out to
allow for the operation on the locating lever. I don't suppose any of the
towbars can be fitted without cutting a small piece out of the bumper, but
as I said, the object of the exercise is to leave as little on show as
possible when the towbar is removed.

If anyone has any ideas or any experience of this type of towbar I would be
grateful for the information (it could even prevent a divorce)

Gary

Old October 16th 04, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Secret Squirrel

Gary wrote:
[...]

Towsure's normal towbar can be fitted with a detachable upgrade kit at a
further 79.95

The bumper needs cutting for the towbar itself, but this is on the
underside and isn't seen from the back. (measures 75mm wide x 80mm deep
on the underside edge)
Nothing extra needs cutting out for the release handle of the detachable
neck, nor the sockets.

Order codes: towbar VX343e and upgrade kit TEC050

Old October 16th 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
in2minds

If anyone has any ideas or any experience of this type of towbar I
would be
grateful for the information (it could even prevent a divorce)

if money is tight, you could fit a normal towbar with one of those
chrome towball covers. That was the compromise I made purely because of
the extra cost, 18 for the cover as apposed to 90 for the detachable
upgrade.
SWMBO is happy with it and that's what counts (c;

LJ

Old October 16th 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dad

Hi,
the bar fitted to my Chrysler is a Brink detachable type and
works/looks fine. The same people do one for a VW but I've no idea if it's
one that will stop the divorce?
Check out this link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...em=24861844 7
5&tc=photo and no it's not my advert.

Steve.

Old October 16th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

I recently bought a new Rover 75 Tourer and, like you, didn't want the rear
end of my car disfigured with a permanent tow-ball (apart from the
difficulty of cleaning behind it!).
I arranged for an independent fitter to install a Brink detachable. The rear
bumper did require some cutting - but only on the underside and the cut is
completely invisible from the rear. The amount of cutting depends very much
on the car in question of course - but when you consider that many rear
bumpers have an 'arc' cut out for the exhaust pipe, it would be no worse
than this.

Kev