Alko Chasis and spare wheel carrier

Old October 19th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Alko Chasis and spare wheel carrier

As anyone repossitioned thier Alko spare wheel carrier to allow a motor
mover to be installed at the rear of the caravan wheels?

Please reply to News Group.

Old October 19th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Default Alko Chassis and spare wheel carrier

David wrote:

Has anyone repositioned their Alko spare wheel carrier to allow a
motor mover to be installed at the rear of the caravan wheels?

Doesn't sound like a good idea - because you'd have to make some unscheduled
holes in the chassis, rather than using the ones designed in for this
purpose.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old October 19th 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message

Doesn't sound like a good idea - because you'd have to make some

unscheduled
holes in the chassis, rather than using the ones designed in for this
purpose.
--

Why?
Because the chasis is only just strong enough now?

Please reply to News Group.

Old October 19th 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

"David" wrote in message
As anyone repossitioned thier Alko spare wheel carrier to allow a motor
mover to be installed at the rear of the caravan wheels?

I don't think it would be advised as the chassis has preformed holes to
accept the carrier. I would have thought that drilling more holes would
weaken the structure. I have a Reich Move Control which is fitted in front
of the axle so obviously no effect on the carrier. Mine is fitted to a
Sterling Eccles Topaz. Admittedly it does not look particularly high of the
ground but I have never had any problems with it.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

---

Old October 19th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

David wrote:

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message

Doesn't sound like a good idea - because you'd have to make some
unscheduled holes in the chassis, rather than using the ones
designed in for this purpose.
--

Why?
Because the chasis is only just strong enough now?
Because of warranty effect?

The holes made at the manufacturing stage are probably punched out of hot
metal before it is folded into a channel section, and have the edges folded
in slightly for additional reinforcement. This process will result in there
being no residual stresses round the holes. If you drill extra holes in a
cold chassis, you may well get cracks propogating from the holes. In
addition, you will lose the benefit of galvanising at that point, and may
get corrosion.

This may or may not be a problem, depending on what safety factors are built
into the design. But bear in mind that caravan - and chassis - manufacturers
are under a lot of pressure to keep the weight down, so the design could be
fairly near the limit.

You will be aware that movers are designed to be clamped onto the chassis -
rather than needing holes to be drilled - in order to avoid weakening the
chassis.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old October 19th 04, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"David klyne" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

.. I have a Reich Move Control which is fitted in front
of the axle so obviously no effect on the carrier. Mine is fitted to a
Sterling Eccles Topaz. Admittedly it does not look particularly high of

the
ground but I have never had any problems with it.

Bailey Pagent Majestic with a Reich. Up to yesturday was in front. But the
chasis is deeper at the front than at the rear by an inch. This is made
worse at the front due to a cross member and a spacer of half inch thick is
needed, this makes the front one and a half inches lower. Following the
mover hitting an obstruction last week and the mover being pushed onto the
tyres and locking the wheels. Resulting in a caravan on a petrol station
forecourt which could go no where, untill Green Flag came and loosened the
whole assembly off. I then yesturday took it in and had it reassembled at
the rear, hence the spare wheel removal.

If anyone has a front mounted motor mover which is low be very, very
carefull with curbs and road speed humps etc.

If you must front mount on my type of caravan the Carver fits a lot higher.
But the Reich is a better unit I'm informed.

Please reply to News Group.