OT Aluminium Corrosion

Old October 23rd 04, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default OT Aluminium Corrosion

We have aluminium/alloys on our caravans, now I've got some non-caravanning
aluminium items that are coroding. Surface is going sort of white powdery.
Does anyone know of some thing I can put on to slow this down or improve
appearence?

I believe it is air that causes the deteriation of aluminium thats is why it
is plated or coated.
Thanks

Please reply to News Group.

Old October 23rd 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:32:29 GMT, "David" wrote:

| We have aluminium/alloys on our caravans, now I've got some non-caravanning
| aluminium items that are coroding. Surface is going sort of white powdery.
| Does anyone know of some thing I can put on to slow this down or improve
| appearence?

Avoid salt. Salt is normally the cause of the white powder. I know of no
effective treatment.

| I believe it is air that causes the deteriation of aluminium thats is why it
| is plated or coated.

When exposed to air, aluminium forms a thin layer of Aluminium Oxide on its
surface, within seconds, which protects the surface. Scratching this layer
just exposes fresh aluminium and the oxide layer reforms This protection
can be improved by anodizing.

Anodizing is IME not all it as cracked up to be because it does not handle
abrasion well. It is not easy to do at home.
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/t-anodis.htm

Painting aluminium is difficult, because of the layer of aluminium oxide,
and needs an etching primer.

Pure aluminium is rarely used, almost everything which we call aluminium is
made of an alloy, of which there are many dozens, each with its own
properties.

--
Dave F
Old October 23rd 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old October 23rd 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

When we moved to Fraserburgh in 1967 I first parked my caravan near the sea
and found that the aluminium (on the windows in these days) corroded
rapidly. This slowed down considerably when I then parked the caravan a
couple of miles inland.

Old October 23rd 04, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Philip Stokes

In message , on Sat, 23 Oct 2004,
David writes
We have aluminium/alloys on our caravans, now I've got some non-caravanning
aluminium items that are coroding. Surface is going sort of white powdery.
Does anyone know of some thing I can put on to slow this down or improve
appearence?

Deb (the Swarfega people) market a product called AluTrans for cleaning
aluminium truck bodies. I have had great success with it in restoring
aluminium components on my concours car, but having treated the surface
you would then need to protect it to stop the same process happening
again.

Old October 23rd 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

ask same question on alt.fan.landrover. if your aluminium bits are near
steel, then thats a big part of your problem

Old October 23rd 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

Old October 31st 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBIN DUMPLETON

Using stainless steel fixings is a great help and good ventilation. Wash
surfaces with pressure washer to remove road salt and keep coatings in good
condition by touching up abrasions. Phosphoric acid preparations of which
there are a few will clean and neutralise magnesium alloy wheels or have
blasted and re-coated.

Robin