Letting Static Caravans

Old October 23rd 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris

Default Letting Static Caravans

Hi all, I'm interested in buying a static caravan and letting it out
soley for an extra income.

Is the a good idea? Will it be profitable? If so, how profitable?

Any information regarding this subject would be walmly recieved

Cheers
Chris Adams
Old October 23rd 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Chris wrote:

Hi all, I'm interested in buying a static caravan and letting it out
soley for an extra income.

Is the a good idea? Will it be profitable? If so, how profitable?

Any information regarding this subject would be walmly recieved

Cheers
Chris Adams

I don't know the answer. I presume that there *is* profit to be made,
because there are a lot of static vans available for holiday lets.

I would advise going into it very carefully though, before committing
yourself. The overheads of site fees, insurance, booking administration,
etc. will be quite high. Also, from what I have heard many site owners have
you over a barrel when it comes to buying and selling vans. You probably
have to buy from them - and sell to them at a very much reduced price when
you want to dispose of it. They often won't allow you to keep it on their
site once it reaches a certain age.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old October 23rd 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article , [email protected]
road.freeserve.co.uk wrote

Hi all, I'm interested in buying a static caravan and letting it out
soley for an extra income.
Is the a good idea? Will it be profitable? If so, how profitable?
Any information regarding this subject would be walmly recieved
Cheers
Chris Adams

First of all, in order to let it it has to be on a licensed
site that allows you to let it. These are hard to find other
than one of the big commercial sites like Haven Warner - who
I used when I did the same thing a number of years ago.

These type of sites will only accept either a new van or one
that is less than 4 years old. It is important to note this
since once it get's to 4 years old - you have to replace or
remove it.

Alos, the letting season is from March to October and in that
time you have to make sufficient profit to at least balance the
costs. This is where you can come very unstuck.

At the begining of the season the weekly rate you can charge will
be lower than in the peak rate period and then it drops off again.
You are unlikely to be able to charge more than the fees the site
owned vans command so from the outset your profit is influenced by
the site opperators.

Fees likely to be incurred: Site fee pa could be about 1250 up to
1800 pa. Public liability insurance and insurance for the van. Gas
and electricity charges. Also, if you are on a HW site then you will
be required to pay security pass fees. Total for the year could be
as much as 3500 before you pay and finance money on whatever deal
you have.

Then there are fees for letting agents etc unless you are convinced
you can find punters to fill the van for the season yourself. There
are other costs that occur over the year that you may not discover
until they arrise, such as frequent gas safety inspections, services.
Fees for a winter down unless you do it yourself. An external wash and
spruce up - unless you do it yourself [2 per year]. Then there are
linnen laundering / replacement.........and it goes on.

In a nutshell, if you can get buy one outright so that you have no
finance payments to meet per month and you find a decent site [not
Haven Warner or their ilk] then you might be able to recover the cost
of maintaining it plus site fees plus a bit on top. But if you think
that you can do this to recover all costs including the van purchase
then trust me on this - you will not be able to do it. You might manage
to balance the books for a year but after that you will see a defecit.

I ran three statics on commercial sites and lasted for two years.

There are those who manage to find a decent spot with the right licence
and who do manage ok. But I think you will discover it too much greif.

Old October 23rd 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article , [email protected]
road.freeserve.co.uk wrote

Old October 26th 04, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Al Stevenson

In message , Hitch Lock
writes
Chris wrote:

[...]

Agreed,

I heard of one that insisted on buying a static from its owner for
1,500 and promptly put it on sale for 20,000
--
Al Stevenson