status aerials problems

Old October 25th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

Default status aerials problems

Hi whats the verdict on these 315 aerials I have had a caravan for the last
18 months and not been abale to get a picture through it yet radio yes tele
no.... Paul

Old October 26th 04, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Hi whats the verdict on these 315 aerials I have had a caravan for the last
18 months and not been abale to get a picture through it yet radio yes tele
no.... Paul

Had the same problem for the last 2 years. No-one seems to have a
good word to say about them. Even in my own garden, with
line-of-sight to the transmitter, the picture is poor and variable. I
think caravan manufacturers add them as a fashion accessory. If you
*must* have TV in the van, opinion is that you need a proper
directional aerial on a pole. Or you could just not bother. Or get a
satellite dish and go to Sky. I'm still pondering the options for
next year.

(BTW, make sure the booster switch on the aerial power unit is on -
took me a while to work this out!)

Rich

Old October 26th 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bradbury

In message , Richard
Brookman writes
"Paul" wrote in message
Hi whats the verdict on these 315 aerials I have had a caravan for the last
18 months and not been abale to get a picture through it yet radio yes tele
no.... Paul

Had the same problem for the last 2 years. No-one seems to have a
good word to say about them. Even in my own garden, with
line-of-sight to the transmitter, the picture is poor and variable. I
think caravan manufacturers add them as a fashion accessory. If you
*must* have TV in the van, opinion is that you need a proper
directional aerial on a pole. Or you could just not bother. Or get a
satellite dish and go to Sky. I'm still pondering the options for
next year.

(BTW, make sure the booster switch on the aerial power unit is on -
took me a while to work this out!)

Rich

I have not bothered to get one on the new Hobby but I bought a mast and
then a cheap domestic aerial (for poor reception areas) and have
mounted that on the side of the ladder at the back of the caravan.
Result - good reception once I have got it aligned.

I too am considering Sky, but doesn't surrounding trees etc. have an
effect on the reception?
--
John Bradbury

Old October 26th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I too am considering Sky, but doesn't surrounding trees etc. have an
effect on the reception?

Remember that although the Sky dish looks like it is pointing at the
horizon, this is purely for aesthetic reasons. It is carefully calibrated so
that the actual electromagnetic response is pointing considerably into the
sky. The trees would have to be quite close to be a problem. Anything
resembling a field, rather than a wood, would be OK.

Christian.

Old October 26th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:24:32 +0100, "Paul"
wrote:

| Hi whats the verdict on these 315 aerials I have had a caravan for the last
| 18 months and not been abale to get a picture through it yet radio yes tele
| no.... Paul

I got rid of mine and changed to a directional TV aerial and amplifier.
An external extendable aerial for the radio.

--
Dave Fawthrop Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Old October 26th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old October 26th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
skubdoo

Mine works fine, do you all remember to retune the set to the broadcasting
station in the area your in...moving the arial around is not good enough.