Battery Question

Old October 26th 04, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christine Easterbrook

Default Battery Question

This may seem to be a silly question but can someone please tell me how and
why the caravan still has power when the battery is disconnected. While in
Cornwall a couple of weeks ago the battery started to smoke and make a
really bad smell, so off to the shops to buy a new one [the man said it had
blown]. When we got back to the caravan the lights were still on although
the old battery had been removed. We are now thinking maybe the lights run
off the mains, so we remove the mains cable and the lights are still on
along with the pump still working and the tele running from 12 volts.
Is battery power stored somewhere and if it is how long would it last.
We have a 2000 Elddis Gulfstream GTX.
Thanks for any comments.
Christine.

Old October 26th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Christine Easterbrook wrote:

This may seem to be a silly question but can someone please tell me
how and why the caravan still has power when the battery is
disconnected. While in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago the battery
started to smoke and make a really bad smell, so off to the shops to
buy a new one [the man said it had blown]. When we got back to the
caravan the lights were still on although the old battery had been
removed. We are now thinking maybe the lights run off the mains, so
we remove the mains cable and the lights are still on along with the
pump still working and the tele running from 12 volts.
Is battery power stored somewhere and if it is how long would it last.
We have a 2000 Elddis Gulfstream GTX.
Thanks for any comments.
Christine.

Well, if the lights work without a battery *and* without a mains cable,
you'd better patent it pretty quickly!

The lights and pump are designed to run off 12v. When you have a good
battery installed, and no mains hookup, they'll run off the battery.

When you connect the mains, the mains-powered battery charger will raise the
voltage slightly, and the lights will be a little brighter. If you remove
the battery with the mains connected (not a particularly good thing to do!)
the mains-powered charger will continue to feed about 14v to the 12v
devices.

Presumably by the time you removed the mains cable, you had re-installed the
battery?

Hope this explains what you witnessed!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old October 27th 04, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:33:04 GMT, "Christine Easterbrook"
wrote:

| This may seem to be a silly question but can someone please tell me how and
| why the caravan still has power when the battery is disconnected. While in
| Cornwall a couple of weeks ago the battery started to smoke and make a
| really bad smell, so off to the shops to buy a new one [the man said it had
| blown]. When we got back to the caravan the lights were still on although
| the old battery had been removed.

Search for the other battery. Someone may have fitted a spare.

--
Dave F

Old October 27th 04, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old October 27th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

It is nearly Hallowe'en...........

Old October 27th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

It is nearly Hallowe'en...........