Fridge wiring query

Old October 31st 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Willdigg

Default Fridge wiring query

I have just checked the wiring of my new car and I am not sure whether the
Fridge wiring is correct. I know that voltage sensors have replaced the
straightforward ignition controlled relay but my question is: Is there any
circumstance where the pin can remain live with the ignition off in a
correctly wired set-up.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Old October 31st 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"David Willdigg" wrote in message
I have just checked the wiring of my new car and I am not sure whether the
Fridge wiring is correct. I know that voltage sensors have replaced the
straightforward ignition controlled relay but my question is: Is there any
circumstance where the pin can remain live with the ignition off in a
correctly wired set-up.

Yes one pin is live for the connection of your 12v lighting from the car
battery. I only use this if my onboard battery fails in emergeny.

Please reply to News Group.

Old October 31st 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:13:22 GMT, "David" wrote:

| "David Willdigg" wrote in message
| I have just checked the wiring of my new car and I am not sure whether the
| Fridge wiring is correct. I know that voltage sensors have replaced the
| straightforward ignition controlled relay but my question is: Is there any
| circumstance where the pin can remain live with the ignition off in a
| correctly wired set-up.
|

| Yes one pin is live for the connection of your 12v lighting from the car
| battery. I only use this if my onboard battery fails in emergeny.

We have torches for emergencies

IMO it is better go to bed than risk not being able to start the car in the
morning.

--
Dave F

Old October 31st 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 1st 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

Yes one pin is live for the connection of your 12v lighting from the car
battery. I only use this if my onboard battery fails in emergeny.

But this doesn't apply to the fridge pin. If this specific pin is on, then
there is probably an adjustment in the split charge relay that should be
adjusted until it turns off (but still turns on when the engine is actually
running). If this doesn't work, then the wiring may be wrong.

Christian.

Old November 1st 04, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Yes one pin is live for the connection of your 12v lighting from the car
battery. I only use this if my onboard battery fails in emergeny.

But this doesn't apply to the fridge pin. If this specific pin is on, then
there is probably an adjustment in the split charge relay that should be
adjusted until it turns off (but still turns on when the engine is

actually
running). If this doesn't work, then the wiring may be wrong.

I have 3 pins which can be live.

The one I mentioned before live all the time.
2 others go live only when engine is running.
One feeds the caravan 'fridge and charges the onboard battery, a box of
tricks in caravan sorts them out.
The other charges a spare battery in my car boot.

Please reply to News Group.

Old November 1st 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I have 3 pins which can be live.

The one I mentioned before live all the time.
2 others go live only when engine is running.
One feeds the caravan 'fridge and charges the onboard battery, a box of
tricks in caravan sorts them out.
The other charges a spare battery in my car boot.

Indeed, although running the battery charger and the fridge off one pin may
lead to untimely demise of the connector. I'd suggest using the "Tony Maris"
patented modification so that this current goes through two pins, both for
supply and return.

However, the OP specifically mentioned that the fridge wiring was not
turning off, so he probably does have a split charge relay adjustment
problem. Or a miswired caravan/car.

Christian.