Mice in caravan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 1st 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan

Default Mice in caravan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaarggghh I hate these things.
Had 2 caravans now, the first one got a mouse sometime over the winter
whilst the van wwas parked up in a field.

Got this newer van beginning of this year, no problems during the
summer, however.....

Went away just last weekend, on opening the front locker, a carrier
was all chewed up and mouse droppings all over the inside.

Can anyone give me any advise on how to "not get mice" I love
caravanning but this always puts the damper on things.

Anything I can buy/do to stop this?

Thanks for any help

Alan
Old November 1st 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Ultra sonic pest replant gizmo from Maplins 7-99 seems to work fine in
my shed. Mains powered via a power unit so could be adaptable to 12v if
necessary. I haven't seen any furry fiends for months.

Roy

Old November 1st 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Alan" wrote in message
Aaarggghh I hate these things.
Had 2 caravans now, the first one got a mouse sometime over the winter
whilst the van wwas parked up in a field.

Got this newer van beginning of this year, no problems during the
summer, however.....

Went away just last weekend, on opening the front locker, a carrier
was all chewed up and mouse droppings all over the inside.

Can anyone give me any advise on how to "not get mice" I love
caravanning but this always puts the damper on things.

Before you consider spending on gizmos, look for where they're getting in.
You might be able to stop it.

A piece of steel wool stufffed in the hole will allow ventilation yet
prevent ingress.

We've never had this condition, it's a puzzle why some 'vans seem prone to
it and others don't. In our case one 'van is left year round with no
precautions on a farm where there are plenty of rodents. The other is in our
front garden, there might be rodents or not, I don't know. Sometimes we have
them in the house.

Mary

Old November 1st 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:54:39 -0800, "Martin Edwards"
wrote:

| If mice want in, they'll squeeze through the tinyest holes imaginable,

Anything more than the size of a pencil :-(
So examine all the ventilation holes and where things go through the floor.
Put Steel wool/brillo pads in the holes before other sealing.

--
Dave F

Old November 1st 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 1st 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

"Alan" wrote in message
Went away just last weekend, on opening the front locker, a carrier
was all chewed up and mouse droppings all over the inside.

Can anyone give me any advise on how to "not get mice" I love
caravanning but this always puts the damper on things.

A mouse can get through an incredibly small hole. Basically, if you can
push a pencil through a gap, then assume that a mouse could get through it
too.

Ventilation holes in the caravan floor are the main places to check. These
holes may already have wire mesh embedded in them but it may not be small
enough to be mouse proof. Get some similar mesh from B&Q. Cut a
rectangular piece which, when folded almost in half (not quite 'exactly' in
half because you don't want the crosspieces to match up) is big enough to
fasten over the outside of the ventilation hole. A staple gun is an easy
way of fastening the mesh on. Do this to all ventilation holes beneath the
caravan. Also check that there are no other points of possible entry (loose
sealant around underfloor heating pipes for instance) repair or fit mesh to
any that you find. Front lockers are more difficult because they often have
huge ventilation holes that (in the case of our caravan) simply couldn't be
covered with mesh. All I can advise here is to make sure that there's no
way for a mouse to get into the main caravan from the front locker. Then,
as long as you don't leave food or nesting material in the front locker, you
hopefully won't have the same problem again. Since you have had a visit
from mice, it's important that you thoroughly check any wiring or flexible
gas pipes in the locker in case they've had a chew at those.