Vectra - Petrol or Diesel ?

Old November 4th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

Default Vectra - Petrol or Diesel ?

I am thinking of buying another used car next year to replace my 10 year old
Cavalier and I like the look of the new model Vectra Hatchback. Because of
the old knee trouble it will be an automatic. There are plenty of used ones
about with a 2.2 litre engine either petrol or diesel. My caravan is a 12
foot Avondale, max weight 1000kgs, and I do not imagine we will ever want
anything larger. The caravan is used mainly on the continent and I tow it
to the south of France or Spain about twice a year.
I have been very satisfied with the Cavalier and before that a Carlton, but
both were petrol. I have no experience of diesel engines and am not a car
enthusiast. Apart from the fact that diesel is cheaper abroad and you get a
few more miles per gallon with it, I know little about the comparative
merits of petrol or diesel engined cars.
What would you recommend, diesel or petrol ?

Regards.

Dave

---

Old November 4th 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I am thinking of buying another used car next year to replace my 10
year old Cavalier and I like the look of the new model Vectra Hatchback.

I was very happy with my Cavalier, so bought a Vectra. Then sold a Vectra
shortly afterwards. They may look similar, but the Vectra drives like a sack
of spuds in comparison.

See if you can organise a long test drive before you commit.

Christian.

Old November 4th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave Dew
writes
[...]

Vectra seats, apart from the Sri have an abysmal reputation for comfort
or rather discomfort. Diesels are much more economical than petrol and
generally make good tugs because the torque curve is flatter. A turbo is
pretty much essential on them though.
--
hugh

Old November 4th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Christian McArdle said the following on 04/11/2004 14:13:
I am thinking of buying another used car next year to replace my 10
year old Cavalier and I like the look of the new model Vectra Hatchback.

I was very happy with my Cavalier, so bought a Vectra. Then sold a Vectra
shortly afterwards. They may look similar, but the Vectra drives like a sack
of spuds in comparison.

See if you can organise a long test drive before you commit.

Christian.

He did say 'New' shape, Petrol version is very thirsty compared to
diesel option. Seat comfort is a matter of shape - if you fit the seat
then comfy, if not - seat back support is non adjustable although a good
range of height and rake adjustments.

Roy

Old November 4th 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

So Dave Dew was, like

I am thinking of buying another used car next year to replace my 10
year old Cavalier and I like the look of the new model Vectra
Hatchback. snip
What would you recommend, diesel or petrol ?

Diesel every time. Cheaper sur le continong, more mpg, better low-speed
torque for the size of engine you are talking about. Always carry a packet
of cheap disposable gloves in the car for when you fill up - the smell of
diesel hangs around, and long term is carcinogenic to the skin.

--

Rich

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium

Old November 4th 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Murphy

Like you I used to use a Cavalier - last one was a 1.8.

Drove the new shape vectra with 1.9 petrol engine in - v comfy with 4 people
on a long return mway journey, 3 hours there and another 3 back in one day.
Masses of space - a 6 footer had plenty of room in the back on the outward
journey, then plenty of room in the drivers seat coming back. Like sitting
in 4 armchairs! Howling gale, cross winds, over the pennines, the works -
and steady as a rock all the way.

But it was heavier than the Cavalier, and I would not like to tow with that
engine size in that car, where the Cavalier was excellent with the 1.8/.