octavias and zsaras as towcars

Old November 5th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dwrenched

Default octavias and zsaras as towcars

I'd like any impressions of the Skoda Octavia (diesel 110 hp) and Citroen Zsara
Estate (110 diesel desire) as towcars, from anyone who has one. The former
looks perfect, except that it has a noseweight limit of only 60 kg- less than
the old Rover 218 that we are using now. We've found that it helps stability
to load up to the noseweight. The Citroen is a bit marginal on size, but is
very good value for money at the moment and has a noseweight limit of 110 kgs.

Thanks in anticipation

Old November 5th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

For Grand Prix Fans www.donkeydoesf1.co.uk
"Dwrenched" wrote in message
I'd like any impressions of the Skoda Octavia (diesel 110 hp) and Citroen

Zsara
Estate (110 diesel desire) as towcars, from anyone who has one. The

former
looks perfect, except that it has a noseweight limit of only 60 kg- less

than
the old Rover 218 that we are using now. We've found that it helps

stability
to load up to the noseweight. The Citroen is a bit marginal on size, but

is
very good value for money at the moment and has a noseweight limit of 110

kgs.

Thanks in anticipation

David

Not sure if this helps but someone who contributes here tows with an Octavia
and he raves about it(sorry Doc!) However for him the nose weight is not
such a big issue because he has a Hobby which as a much lighter noseweight
than UK vans. From an engine point of view the Citroen 110hp Hdi engine is a
good for towing, I previously had a Xantia and found it to be a really good
towcar.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

---

Old November 6th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"David klyne" responded to "Dwrenched" who'd asked;
[...]

----****----
As David says I've towed with the 110bhp Octavia Estate and even 'without
its chips' it towed a Swift Danette and the current Hobby no problemo. Now
got the 130bhp, 6-speed box, version and that's even better!! Last tow, last
w/e, I got over 30mpg, towing at 60mph where possible.

Not found the 60kg noseweight limit a problem, even with the Swift; just
load the 'van accordingly. I used to tow the Swift with a 90bhp Deisel
Citroen ZX and that did need MAD assistance on the rear end. Octavia
doesn't go down much at all when hitched up.
I can thoroughly recommend the Octavia as a towcar; tows beautifully at over
70mph on Froggie motorways, and when you have to swerve onto the hard
shoulder of the M25, at 60mph, because an old Jeep cut right in front of me!

Cheers, Doc

Old November 6th 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KAW

"Dwrenched" wrote in message
I'd like any impressions of the Skoda Octavia (diesel 110 hp) and Citroen

Zsara
Estate (110 diesel desire) as towcars, from anyone who has one. The

former
looks perfect, except that it has a noseweight limit of only 60 kg- less

than
the old Rover 218 that we are using now. We've found that it helps

stability
to load up to the noseweight. The Citroen is a bit marginal on size, but

is
very good value for money at the moment and has a noseweight limit of 110

kgs.

Thanks in anticipation

David

I towed (Bailey Ranger 450/2 MLW 1090kg) with a Xsara HDi estate for 3
years and found it to be a very good towcar once it had been run in. I would
also think that its a bit rookier than the Octavia but the seating wasn't
very comfotable.
We now tow with a Mitsubishi Spacestar DiD and that handles the Ranger with
no trouble at all.

Cheers

Keith

Old November 10th 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
SkodaMan

I used an Octavia Elegance Estate diesel 110 bhp for a couple of years and
found it to be excellent as a tow car. The only downside from my point of
view was the maximum towing capacity of 1300kg. My van has a max permissible
weight of 1340kg and although I did not fully load the van it was a little
close to the maximum at times. Economy wise, I could easily get around 33
mpg with the van on the hook. Solo, I often achieved well over 50 mpg and
that wasn't through hanging around! The car was very comfortable and filled
with all the 'goodies'. Reliability was never a problem.

Thoroughly recommend the Octavia if your van is within the 1300 kg limit.

Reg