Re-Sealing Leaky Caravans?

Old November 5th 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Cartwright

Default Re-Sealing Leaky Caravans?

My van, a 97 model Sterling Europa 520NT is in excellent mechanical
condition but...... areas at the front of the unit have now developed some
damp! This seems to be around the front o/s and n/s windows so I propose to
reseal these areas ..... but with what? Has anyone any experience with
sealants? Will the type of exterior flexible sealant found in DIY stores
work for example?

Kind regards JohnC

Old November 6th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R. Murphy

I have used the silicaone sealant - bought from a caravn dealers - to good
effect. heed to clen up all old sealant throuroughly. I squeezed it in
araound all the window seals.

Old November 6th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

Doant breethe een thee fuumes tho as eet weel eaffekt yure spelleing.
(Sorry, just couldn't resist)

Old November 11th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AH

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message ...
Doant breethe een thee fuumes tho as eet weel eaffekt yure spelleing.
(Sorry, just couldn't resist)
"John Cartwright" wrote in message
My van, a 97 model Sterling Europa 520NT is in excellent mechanical
condition but...... areas at the front of the unit have now developed some
damp! This seems to be around the front o/s and n/s windows so I propose
reseal these areas ..... but with what? Has anyone any experience with
sealants? Will the type of exterior flexible sealant found in DIY
stores
work for example?

Kind regards JohnC

I've heard that the stuff in silicone sealant affects aluminium and
shouldn't be used on caravans. Could anyone confirm or refute this?

Thanks,
AlH

Old November 11th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dorian

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:35:42 GMT, (Dorian)
wrote:

On 11 Nov 2004 02:40:38 -0800,
(AH) wrote:

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message ...
Doant breethe een thee fuumes tho as eet weel eaffekt yure spelleing.
(Sorry, just couldn't resist)
"John Cartwright" wrote in message
My van, a 97 model Sterling Europa 520NT is in excellent mechanical
condition but...... areas at the front of the unit have now developed some
damp! This seems to be around the front o/s and n/s windows so I propose
reseal these areas ..... but with what? Has anyone any experience with
sealants? Will the type of exterior flexible sealant found in DIY
stores
work for example?

Kind regards JohnC

I've heard that the stuff in silicone sealant affects aluminium and
shouldn't be used on caravans. Could anyone confirm or refute this?

Thanks,
AlH

For various reasons it's not suitable. Use sikaflex or similar, or
just get the prooper stuff from your caravan suppliers shop,

You only want to reseal once in a blue moon so do it properly. all the
other stuff dries up pretty quickly, not completely but enough to stop
it's usefullness, just look at the bathroom sealing and how often it
needs doing.

Have a look here
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...flex+car avan