GPS Navigation Software

Old November 6th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
warwick.j.marshall

Default GPS Navigation Software

I would like to install gps navigation software onto a laptop. Autoroute has
a gps facility but i am also looking at the Directions Ltd. package.
It is for use in Europe,mainly France & Spain.Any thoughts or info would be
appreciated

Old November 6th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

warwick.j.marshall wrote:

I would like to install gps navigation software onto a laptop.
Autoroute has a gps facility but i am also looking at the Directions
Ltd. package.
It is for use in Europe,mainly France & Spain.Any thoughts or info
would be appreciated

I *have* used Autoroute with a GPS on a laptop, but it's far from ideal.
Firstly, it's very difficult to carry a laptop in a car in a position where
you can safely see it. Secondly, it doesn't give you directions - it simply
shows you where you are/were on a map. I say "were" because in its standard
form it only reads the GPS and updates the map pointer every 15 seconds -
and you can travel quite a distance in that time, and could well miss a
turn. [There is a patch - described in posts some months/years ago - which
enables you to increase the GPS update frequency to 1 or 2 seconds, but I
don't know whether it works with the most recent versions of Autoroute].

There are lots of PDA-based navigation packages available nowadays which are
much easier to mount in your line of sight and some of which (I believe)
give spoken directions. Somewhat more expensive than software for a PC which
you already have - but a lot more useful.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old November 6th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:37:29 -0000, "Hitch Lock"

warwick.j.marshall wrote:

[...]

We were using Autoroute with a Laptop (I say were as we got robbed in
France in July & lost the Laptop, not got around to replacing it).
Found Autoroute excellent, 2004 version updates every 1 sec.
Autoroute may not shout at you telling you where to go but the wife's
a good substitute. Autoroute has the advantage of been much easier to
plot your own route & change suggested route, also has information
about towns & villages & of course you can import databases, has good
detail on most French villages.
The software that came with the GPS unit Route 66 Europe was unless
compared to Autoroute, accuracy poor about 1/4 mile - Autoroute a
couple of metres, & very poor detail in towns villages just main
roads.

Lenny

Old November 7th 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"Lenny" responded to a query on SAT-Nav

snip--- saying----
We were using Autoroute with a Laptop (I say were as we got robbed in
France in July & lost the Laptop, not got around to replacing it).
Found Autoroute excellent, 2004 version updates every 1 sec.
Autoroute may not shout at you telling you where to go but the wife's
a good substitute. Autoroute has the advantage of been much easier to
plot your own route & change suggested route, also has information
about towns & villages & of course you can import databases, has good
detail on most French villages.
The software that came with the GPS unit Route 66 Europe was unless
compared to Autoroute, accuracy poor about 1/4 mile - Autoroute a
couple of metres, & very poor detail in towns villages just main
roads.

----****----
Hi Lenny, hope all is 'quiet' on the 'vannin' front!!

I, and a number of others, have just purchased Tom Tom GO. This is a
dedicated, transferable SAT-Nav system and is a 'stand-alone' derivative
from the Tom Tom Sat-Nav stuff, sold for in-car use on PDA's.

With UK only mapping it's ~410; additional TeleAtlas CD maps for Europe
and a 512Mb SD card is another ~150. We've found it brilliant and far
cheaper than Garmin and better than Navman. You get voiced instructions and
a 3-D view of the road ahead as though the view is from a point above the
car. They've just introduced the ability to add-on/download extra Points of
Interest. Such POI's can be speed cameras, French Campsites, etc. etc.
downloaded from third-party sources.

I found it very usefull coming down the A1(M) last w/e. On the map display I
could see whether an up-coming Parking place was a proper layby completely
seperate from the main road, or just a pull-in, next to the carriageway. My
Hobby has the 'van door on the offside, so I could choose , in advance, to
slow down for the more suitable laybys, and give the less safe, pull-ins a
miss. Absolutely marvellous. It got me from the Sherwood Forest to home
perfectly.

Best bit of expensive gadgetry I've bought since the Motor Mover!

Cheers, Doc.

Old November 7th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:18:35 -0000, "Doc" wrote:

[...]

Hi Doc,

Sounds a nice bit of kit if you don't need or don't have a Laptop.

If you have a Laptop its about 70 for a GPS receiver & the latest
version of Autoroute has almost as much detail as you describe above,
it also shows Gas stations, Restaurants, Hotels, ATM,s, Shopping
Centres & places of interest etc.

I have been tempted with one of these devices but the sort of cash you
paid you can buy a Laptop capable of running most software I'm ever
likely to run.

Does anyone have any experience using any of the cheaper devices?

Lenny

Old November 7th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:54:26 +0000, Lenny
wrote:

Sounds a nice bit of kit if you don't need or don't have a Laptop.

If you have a Laptop its about 70 for a GPS receiver & the latest
version of Autoroute has almost as much detail as you describe above,
it also shows Gas stations, Restaurants, Hotels, ATM,s, Shopping
Centres & places of interest etc.

I have been tempted with one of these devices but the sort of cash you
paid you can buy a Laptop capable of running most software I'm ever
likely to run.

I have several laptops and a Garmin GPS V and haven't found the
laptops any extra use other than up/down loading detailed maps and
waypoints?

I use the Garmin V because it's small (so can use it walking, cycling,
motorcycling rather than just in the car) lasts for ages (20+ hours)
on the 4 (std) AA (I use 2300mA NiMH) cells, has inbuilt aerial (or
takes an external one) and is fully waterproof (not 'splash proof').

It also come with it's own Mapping software "Mapsource City Select"
(that's not bad) and the latest version comes with all of the detailed
maps for the whole of Europe (down to house number level) included in
the deal of around 400 quid.

Being self contained means not having to trial leads between the GPS
and a laptop (or power etc) and as mentioned elsewhere, is small
enough to sit directly in the line-of-sight without being in the way?

Even though loads of GPS's have come out since I bought he V, if I
lost this one *I* would still replace it with the same. ;-)

Another good point is that if I leave the car / caravan the V goes
with me (it's a big as an older mobile phone) so less likely to get
stolen and is handy for (quickly) re-locating the car when you have
parked in the back streets of some unknown holiday town ;-)

All the best ..

T i m