Sending engine parts to 'outlandish' places (Morocco? Turkey?) -

Old November 15th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mothed-out

Default Sending engine parts to 'outlandish' places (Morocco? Turkey?) -

Hi, I'm seriously considering heading to Morocco in a Ford Transit
camper.

Obviously I'll carry some parts and make sure the vehicle is in as
good possible condition before going...

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience of the 'armageddon
scenario', such as needing a new gearbox or whatever when they were
touring somewhere outside the EU that may not have good spare parts
infrastructure?

In fact, Morocco has plenty of good mechanics, but they mainly seem to
use vehicles such as Mercedes and Toyota/various Japanese vehicles, so
I guess that's what'll be in the breakers yards.

Has anyone had to go through something major like having spares sent
out by FedEx or Datapost? I'm sure it costs an arm and a leg, but can
be done as an alternative to dumping your van!! Maybe the thing to do
is to line up a parts supplier and some kind of emergency lifeline
before you go.

I would be very interested if anyone has any experience of something
like this when doing a 'remote' trip outside of Europe...

Thanks

moth
Old November 16th 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mothed-out

Thanks for that info both of you.

I phoned red pennant and it seems you need a reasonably young vehicle,
well, less than 15 years old, so problems if you have a 'classic' vw
camper, or even a 1980s vw transporter, which is one of the options I
was considering buying for the trip as an alternative to a ford
transit.

cheers
moth

bill lord wrote in message . ..
On 15 Nov 2004 04:20:03 -0800, (mothed-out)
wrote:

Hi, I'm seriously considering heading to Morocco in a Ford Transit
camper.

contact CC and look at red pennant travel insurance. If they will
cover Morocco they will do what you require.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old November 16th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Splashlube

From: (mothed-out)
Date: 15/11/2004 12:20 GMT Standard Time
[...]

Ome of these places have very resourceful people around IF you can get them to
work. They have to be as parts can be difficult to obtain even from their own
country. They are more likely to mend things rather than just bolt on a
replacement. Its a question of cost as well as being able to get pieces.

Gearboxes can be welded or something 'made to fit'. Axles welded. I've seen
it done in deepest Africa by the side of the road. Also they standard of
workmanship isn't bad usually and lasts a while. I have a car here that came
home from Kenya. The gearbox was welded years ago and its still going strong.
The plugs are aircraft plugs, the wiring was household flex.

if you have any sense of adventure go for it. A spare set of points,
condensor, set of plugs, possibly dynamo or alternator and a few other bits
and pieces. Electrical bits are difficult to fudge by the side of the road
everything else can be.

Andy

a slightly mad motorist
Old November 16th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Splashlube