OT GPS units are expensive.

Old November 17th 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default OT GPS units are expensive.

In car GPS units appear to be from about 450 upwards.
I can buy a complete home PC system for 500.
I can buy a laptop for 600.
Who is getting all this money when a GPS unit in the range of say 450 to
1000?
Is this just a UK rip off?
Is it the same in USA and Europe?

Please reply to News Group.

Old November 17th 04, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dorian

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:24:08 GMT, "David"
wrote:

In car GPS units appear to be from about ?450 upwards.
I can buy a complete home PC system for ?500.

Not with GPS

I can buy a laptop for ?600.

Not with GPS

Who is getting all this money when a GPS unit in the range of say ?450 to
?1000?

The technology is priceless.

Is this just a UK rip off?

UK is always getting ripped off.

Is it the same in USA and Europe?

USA no, Europe is about on par. Everywhere else is usually cheaper.

Old November 17th 04, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=MIO168UK

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://www.arrivedeprived.org.uk/

K100RS SE
F650
(not forgetting the SK90PY)

Old November 19th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

wrote:

In car GPS units appear to be from about 450 upwards.
I can buy a complete home PC system for 500.
I can buy a laptop for 600.
Who is getting all this money when a GPS unit in the range of say 450 to
1000?

Or my Rover 218SD for 100 quid .. the price of an electric motor and
battery pack for my RC Touring Car?

Is this just a UK rip off?
Is it the same in USA and Europe?

Europe yes (and sometimes worse, USA no as that's where most of it
comes from and the quantities are higher?)

Partially rip-off UK, partly because GPS hasn't really hit the masses
yet (like with early mobile phones and digital cameras) and also
because I believe they have to pay quite a lot of money to the
electronic map suppliers for / from each country (more than to supply
a paper map licence apparently).

A Garmin GPS V for example (with autorouting) is now about 300 quid
and comes with the detailed maps for all of Europe (whatever that is)
down to every house number. Imagine what that would cost in paper maps
(and you can't upgrade the lot for 50 quid and one click like with a
GPS) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m