Extracting cooking steam from caravans query

Old November 19th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Carroll

Default Extracting cooking steam from caravans query

Does anyone have experience of how useful Omnivent extractor fans are? In
particular do you think they are unnecessary, desirable or essential to
remove steam when cooking? Is a roof vent in the kitchen area almost as
effective?

I specified a factory fitted Omnivent fan when we ordered our current UK
made caravan, as there was no roof vent above the kitchen. On cold Winter
nights, the fan is very effective at removing steam and clearing the air
while the vegetables boil and I've come to think of it as essential.

The reason for asking is that I am about to change to a Burstner caravan.
Roof fans are not available as a factory fitted option, but it does come
with a vent above the kitchen area. Sales staff assure me that as Burstner
caravans are widely used from the Arctic Circle down to the Mediterranean -
without extractor fans - there clearly isn't a need for them.

Apparently suppliers can retrofit a fan, and I am waiting to learn what is
involved - but if a vent above the kitchen is almost as effective, maybe I
shouldn't bother.

I'd be most interested to hear other people's experiences or views on the
subject..

Jeremy

Old November 20th 04, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:55:56 +0000 (UTC), "Jeremy Carroll"
wrote:

| Does anyone have experience of how useful Omnivent extractor fans are? In
| particular do you think they are unnecessary, desirable or essential to
| remove steam when cooking? Is a roof vent in the kitchen area almost as
| effective?

IMO roof vents are an overkill for ventilation in UK caravans, and we cook
many meals, from ingredients not readytoeat in the van.
One must remember that some people do not use the facilities in caravans,
like toilets, showers, cooking, They prefer to pay twice by using sites
with restaurants. Which is why we use CCC CSs

I once did a Fly Drive to California with a Camper at the other end, which
advertised all pans etc. etc. When we got there was only a blue speckled
coffee pot for boiling water. We had to buy the rest and get the money
refunded.

--
Dave F
Old November 20th 04, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 20th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Jeremy Carroll" wrote in message
[...]

So would I - but I'd also like to know more about the Omnivent - I'll
Google.

I've pondered this problem ond in the past said I'd like a fan on the wall
behind the cooker, a diy one powered by a small motor should do, I thought,
but it was never done. I leave windows open a crack when I cook and keep as
much as possible covered at all times - I'm talking about hot food and
drinks. Even serving dishes on the table have their own lids - I use
lightweight microwave dishes of various sizes and wouldn't be without them.
We don't have a microwave anywhere though. Cups of tea and coffee have their
own lids - the plastic drip trays from single filter coffee things. While
cooking all pans have lids. The kettle has its whistle lid.

The most steam comes from washing up or personal washing (we don't have a
shower). But over the years, in small caravans and tents, by developing and
using these precautions we don't seem to get as steamed up as others do.

In our 10' caravan there's a small roof vent and that's so good that we
bought a large one to install in the 12' one - that hasn't been done yet
either. Next year it will!

Mary

Jeremy

Old November 20th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

wrote:

Does anyone have experience of how useful Omnivent extractor fans are?

Very, IMHO.

I fitted one in my latest van when it was new. It's an absolute doddle
if you can gain access to the roof and the wiring is already in place
- as it is in most Swifts, I beleive.

We woudn't be without one now. A side effect is that we no longer have
to take the battery out of the smoke alarm as toast nor frying bacon
cause it to go off anymore (as long as the fan's running, that is!)

Cheers 'n' Beers

Old November 20th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

So would I - but I'd also like to know more about the Omnivent - I'll
Google.

Having found a site (Omni vent - two words) I see that it's apparently a
standard roof vent with an integral 12v powered extractor fan.

I'm sure it would work well but the idea of how grubby it would get and how
difficult it might be to clean makes me reluctant ...

Does anyone have experience of this aspect?

Mary

Old November 20th 04, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Crawford

wrote:
We woudn't be without one now. A side effect is that we no longer have
to take the battery out of the smoke alarm as toast nor frying bacon
cause it to go off anymore (as long as the fan's running, that is!)

Cheers 'n' Beers

We had our roof vent taken out and an Omnivent fitted as it's right above
the cooker and it's been well worth it. We either open the kitchen window or
one of the front ones slightly and the fan pulls fresh air in and takes all
the cooking smells out.

Jim