Inverted low-energy lighting

Old November 20th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning
Jonathan Hodgson

Default Inverted low-energy lighting

Does anyone have any experience of running 240V, low-energy lightbulbs
(specifically, I'm thinking of using el cheapo ones from Asda) from a
12V inverter?

In particular, do you need a pure-sine inverter to avoid flicker, or do
they work fine on modified-sine? I'm creating a solar-based lighting
setup from scratch, so this could make a large difference to the total
cost.

I'm reading u.r.w, so caravanners, please don't trim that group out -
and u.r.w people, please *do* trim u.r.c as soon as the off-topic
pun-laden sub-thread starts up!

TIA,
Jonny
Old November 20th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning
brian

"Jonathan Hodgson" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone have any experience of running 240V, low-energy lightbulbs
(specifically, I'm thinking of using el cheapo ones from Asda) from a
12V inverter?

Yes, but I have a true sinewave inverter. According to my Sterling battery
monitor they are the most efficient lights I have, light output/ amps

--
Brian
From Sunny Suffolk

Old November 20th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:04:08 GMT, Jonathan Hodgson
wrote:

| Does anyone have any experience of running 240V, low-energy lightbulbs
| (specifically, I'm thinking of using el cheapo ones from Asda) from a
| 12V inverter?

It is hardly worth the effort due to invertor losses.

Standard 12V caravan tubes are almost the same beast. 12 volts is inverted
up to a higher voltage which runs a fluorescent tube. The low energy
light bulbs are just bent fluorescent tubes.

--
Dave F
Old November 20th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 20th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning
brian

wrote:

| Does anyone have any experience of running 240V, low-energy lightbulbs
| (specifically, I'm thinking of using el cheapo ones from Asda) from a
| 12V inverter?

It is hardly worth the effort due to invertor losses.

O it is, with a good inverter the low current and good light is far better
than caravan lights

--
Brian
From Sunny Suffolk

Old November 20th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning
brian

wrote:

| Does anyone have any experience of running 240V, low-energy lightbulbs
| (specifically, I'm thinking of using el cheapo ones from Asda) from a
| 12V inverter?

It is hardly worth the effort due to invertor losses.

O it is, with a good inverter the low current and good light is far better
than caravan lights

--
Brian
From Sunny Suffolk

Old November 20th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning
Jonathan Hodgson

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:23:00 -0000, brian wrote:

| Does anyone have any experience of running 240V, low-energy lightbulbs
| (specifically, I'm thinking of using el cheapo ones from Asda) from a
| 12V inverter?

It is hardly worth the effort due to invertor losses.

O it is, with a good inverter the low current and good light is far better
than caravan lights

Part of my reasoning for using 240V lights is that I want to protect for
a genny input at a later date, so the efficiency argument is only part
of the story.

Thanks for all the quick replies so far, anyway!

Jonny
Old November 20th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning
Jonathan Hodgson

Old November 20th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.caravanning
Hairy Arse

"Jonathan Hodgson" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone have any experience of running 240V, low-energy lightbulbs
(specifically, I'm thinking of using el cheapo ones from Asda) from a
12V inverter?

In particular, do you need a pure-sine inverter to avoid flicker, or do
they work fine on modified-sine? I'm creating a solar-based lighting
setup from scratch, so this could make a large difference to the total
cost.

Why bother with the inverter at all??

You can get 12 volt flourescent lights.. anything from the whole fittings,
to the compact flourescents that look just like 240 volt ones.. but are
rated at 5 watts at 12 volts DC.. and they are as bright as a 12 watt mains
compact flourescent.

Or if you wanted more light output for less power.. cold cathode tubes are
the way to go.. that's the type of light a scanner uses.. so they are
bright, but nowadays you'll find them in see through computer cases and all
that with the advent of computer modding,

i bought 8 cold cathode tubes for my motorhome.. they can be bought for
silly money like 20 for a twin tube kit from maplins, but i paid 1.29 each
for mine (e-buyer)!!! (comes as a kit.. the small inverter(which runs 1 or 2
tubes), tube, wires, switch, and the tube is encased inside a plastic tube..
so almost unbreakable)

i got the standard white ones.. can get coloured ones, and i have mine under
the eye level cabinets in the van, and i put 2 in the outside light that
origionaly had an 8watt flourescent tube in it,
Everyone comments on how bright the outside light is now, and they pull less
current than the origional flourescent tube that was in there,

Only thing with them.. on a cold morning they take a minute or 2 to get upto
full brightness, that's not a problem really, just something to be aware
of.. starts out as a soft white light, then they get brighter as they warm
up.