Fridge in hot weather

Old November 21st 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

Default Fridge in hot weather

We are trying to choose a new caravan, and one of the considerations is the
side on which the fridge is fitted. At the moment I have a 12 year old
caravan with an Electrolux 212TFE fridge with its small freezer unit, on the
awning side, and when in France each year in June with the awning closed but
vented, this fridge cannot handle the awning heat and maintain a safe fridge
temperature. I have fitted two fridge fans and ensured that the inlet air
is taken from under the caravan, but it is still not good enough.
I wonder if anyone has any experience of using a new modern fridge in these
circumstances and could relate whether it was able to cope or not?
Thank you in anticipation of a constructive reply.

Paul

Old November 21st 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:54:56 GMT, "ZZhivago" wrote:

| We are trying to choose a new caravan, and one of the considerations is the
| side on which the fridge is fitted.

Which way do you site your van in relation to the sun?
Have the fridge on the shady side/end.

--
Dave F
Old November 21st 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 21st 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

I had this problem with my previous van when going to warmer climes. I also
fitted 2 fans which, if I'm honest weren't very effective. Part of the
problem was, as there were 4 of us the fridge couldn't cope with the amount
of cold drinks etc and frequent opening of the door. In the end I bought an
electrolux chest type fridge which I put in the awning and use for drinks
only which works really well even in high ambient temperatures.
However, I think the new fridges are better, the one in my current van is,
but if I had to rely solely on it in hot climates my beers wouldn't be as
cold as I like them!

Old November 22nd 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

wrote:

| We are trying to choose a new caravan, and one of the considerations is
the
| side on which the fridge is fitted.

Which way do you site your van in relation to the sun?
Have the fridge on the shady side/end.

--
Dave F

I site the caravan subject to a number of considerations. If possible I did
not want to add this consideration to the list. I will admit that in the
two instances I describe, the awning had to be in the sunny direction but
the sun was very high in the sky and I feel it would not have made too much
difference.
Thanks Paul

Old November 22nd 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

Old November 22nd 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
I had this problem with my previous van when going to warmer climes. I also
fitted 2 fans which, if I'm honest weren't very effective. Part of the
problem was, as there were 4 of us the fridge couldn't cope with the amount
of cold drinks etc and frequent opening of the door. In the end I bought an
electrolux chest type fridge which I put in the awning and use for drinks
only which works really well even in high ambient temperatures.
However, I think the new fridges are better, the one in my current van is,
but if I had to rely solely on it in hot climates my beers wouldn't be as
cold as I like them!

This is encouraging information. I too found the two fans I fitted were
pretty ineffective.
Luckily there are only two of us and we tend to drink wine, so a modern
fridge it seems may well keep pace. I am certainly keen to delete "fridge
must be on non-awning side" from my requirement list. Thanks Paul

Old November 23rd 04, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
NEWSGROUPS

My Sterling Moonstone 2002 had little problem in Spain last year but if I
think it is struggling just turn it onto gas. It always works better.

Regards
Steve