Site Pons Jan 2005

Old November 22nd 04, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
paul Kimber

Default Site Pons Jan 2005

Just wondered if anyone out there knows of an all year site in the area of
Pons on the west coast of France. My dad will be travelling down on 5/6th
January next year - he says he is having probs finding one in this area and
that Bordeaux will be just that bit too far to go on their first day of
travelling. Thanks in advance for anyone out there who helps. Jane

---

Old November 22nd 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"paul Kimber" wrote in message
Just wondered if anyone out there knows of an all year site in the area of
Pons on the west coast of France. My dad will be travelling down on 5/6th
January next year - he says he is having probs finding one in this area

and
that Bordeaux will be just that bit too far to go on their first day of
travelling. Thanks in advance for anyone out there who helps. Jane

Paul,

Off hand I cannot think of a site open within easy reach of the main road in
the Bordeaux area at that time of year, but you can tell dad that there are
several large 24 hour "Aires" on the autoroute either side of Pons.. The
'Aire de Saintonge' near Saintes comes to mind. It even has a large
exhibition of Roman sculptures to have a look at. We often spend the night
at these places. We pull in early evening and park beside the lorry drivers
who are doing the same. The ground is usually level and there is no need to
unhitch. We have a meal at the restaurant, use their toilet facilities, and
have a reasonable nights sleep. Sometimes it is not the most peaceful of
places as there can be some HGV movement in the night, but not a lot, as the
lorry drivers need their sleep as well. In the morning you can be off when
you like, after perhaps a coffee and a croissant at the restaurant. Rest
assured this is what lorry drvers do all the time and there is no charge for
parking overnight on French autoroutes.

Regards.

Dave.

---

Old November 22nd 04, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
paul Kimber

"Dave Dew" wrote in message

[...]

Hi

Unfortunately mum is disabled and needs to have toilets etc that she can
use- you wouldn't know of any further north would you?? They are prepared
to travel off their route if necessary.

I am at present trying not to have to phone France for my dad - he has this
weird thought that my French is good enough for a telephone conversation (I
think not!) I can just about manage face to face with a dictionary in hand.

Thanks Jane

---

Old November 22nd 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"paul Kimber" wrote in message
Hi

Unfortunately mum is disabled and needs to have toilets etc that she can
use- you wouldn't know of any further north would you?? They are prepared
to travel off their route if necessary.

I am at present trying not to have to phone France for my dad - he has

this
weird thought that my French is good enough for a telephone conversation

(I
think not!) I can just about manage face to face with a dictionary in

hand.

Thanks Jane

Jane,

I am sorry but I have no personal knowledge of any campsites open in
January. We only travel between April and October and for one night stops
tend to use the Aires on the autoroutes. I think your best bet would be to
get a copy of The Caravan Club 'Caravan Europe Volume 1'. This shows
campsites that are open all year and the map at the back of the book
indicates there are several down the length of western France but it would
be a bit of a job to list them here with directions etc. There are two
shown close to Pons but I do not know them. The guide gives recommended
sites in France, Spain, Portugal and Andorra. The Michelin Camping Guide
also indicates which sites in France are open all year but directions are in
French. With your permission I could email you directly with my phone
so we could go into more detail.

Regards.

Dave.

---