Seasonal pitches

Old November 22nd 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
JB

Default Seasonal pitches

I've just had a long weekend in the New Forest and I've discovered that
pitches can be rented by the season. I'm new to camping, but is that a
common thing? It seems a great idea to be able to just nip down at the
weekend to my rented pitch and have it already set up and ready to go.

Unfortunately, there's a waiting list at the Forestry Commission sites.

Old November 22nd 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"JB" wrote in message
I've just had a long weekend in the New Forest and I've discovered that
pitches can be rented by the season. I'm new to camping, but is that a
common thing?

Most of the sites we have been to, whether commercial or CC, have some
seasonal pitches. One of the CC clubs had a storage facility, and they will
get the caravan out and put it on a pitch for you (best of both worlds - not
paying for a seasonal pitch, but no need to tow it down there). Only
trouble is, they were full when we tried to book!

Of course, the other thing is that you are on one site all the time, and
somewhat lose the raison d'etre of having a tourer...

Old November 23rd 04, 05:53 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:21:54 -0000, "JB" wrote:

| I've just had a long weekend in the New Forest and I've discovered that
| pitches can be rented by the season. I'm new to camping, but is that a
| common thing? It seems a great idea to be able to just nip down at the
| weekend to my rented pitch and have it already set up and ready to go.
|
| Unfortunately, there's a waiting list at the Forestry Commission sites.

Many sites do this but I would not consider a seasonal site because.
The Joy of a caravan is IMO to go where.
1. The weather is best, that weekend/week.
I always check the weather forcasts.
We have many times run away from the rain to the sun.
2. There is something we want to do in that area.
3. We haven't been there before.
4. We haven't seen/done everything in that area.

--
Dave F
Old November 23rd 04, 05:53 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 23rd 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
JB

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:21:54 -0000, "JB" wrote:

| I've just had a long weekend in the New Forest and I've discovered that
| pitches can be rented by the season. I'm new to camping, but is that a
| common thing? It seems a great idea to be able to just nip down at the
| weekend to my rented pitch and have it already set up and ready to go.
|
| Unfortunately, there's a waiting list at the Forestry Commission sites.

Many sites do this but I would not consider a seasonal site because.
The Joy of a caravan is IMO to go where.
1. The weather is best, that weekend/week.
I always check the weather forcasts.
We have many times run away from the rain to the sun.
2. There is something we want to do in that area.
3. We haven't been there before.
4. We haven't seen/done everything in that area.

--
Dave F

Yeah, I take on board all of that but just because you've got a seasonal
pitch doesn't mean you can't go somewhere else does it? At the moment I
store my vehicle many miles away, got to go down there by train, etc, etc,.
It's just not worth me doing it for 3 days away. If I could get a nice site
somewhere scenic, I'd be down there for short holidays and I'd just take it
away as I do now for long ones. I can't think of a down side - if you're
already paying for storage.

Old November 23rd 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
JB