Caravan popularity with other road users

Old November 23rd 04, 05:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

Default Caravan popularity with other road users

All of us who tow a van know of the frustration which comes with arriving
behind a unit on a single carriageway road driven at the mandatory 50mph
limit - whether we are towing or not. We perhaps have more understanding
of the restraints involved when towing a van whereas I suspect most drivers
do not realise that there is a lower limit of 50 mph and curse the driver in
front for going slowly.

I sometimes wonder whether lifting the limit to 60mph would cause more or
less accidents than the dodgy overtaking which occurs as the frustration of
the drivers behind rises to the level that unacceptable risks are taken.

Old November 23rd 04, 06:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Even if you travel at 60 or above they still want to overtake the slow
caravan. I have seen this phenomena many times!!

Old November 23rd 04, 06:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Old November 23rd 04, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:47:07 GMT, "jim.johnson"
wrote:

| All of us who tow a van know of the frustration which comes with arriving
| behind a unit on a single carriageway road driven at the mandatory 50mph
| limit - whether we are towing or not. We perhaps have more understanding
| of the restraints involved when towing a van whereas I suspect most drivers
| do not realise that there is a lower limit of 50 mph and curse the driver in
| front for going slowly.
|
| I sometimes wonder whether lifting the limit to 60mph would cause more or
| less accidents than the dodgy overtaking which occurs as the frustration of
| the drivers behind rises to the level that unacceptable risks are taken.

I use my GPS as a speedo which is AFAIK more accurate and gives me an extra
5mph, at 50/60/70 mph on the car speedo. I have checked the accuracy of
the GPS speedo on those lighting up *SLOW DOWN* signs which seem to be set
on 30mph and agree with my GPS speedo, not my car speedo.

If I get a tail, I stop and let them pass.

I travel *4* seconds behind the vehicle in front, so that an artic can get
in the space in front of me.

--
Dave F
Old November 23rd 04, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 23rd 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"jim.johnson" wrote in message
All of us who tow a van know of the frustration which comes with arriving
behind a unit on a single carriageway road driven at the mandatory 50mph
limit - whether we are towing or not. We perhaps have more understanding
of the restraints involved when towing a van whereas I suspect most
drivers do not realise that there is a lower limit of 50 mph and curse the
driver in front for going slowly.

I sometimes wonder whether lifting the limit to 60mph would cause more or
less accidents than the dodgy overtaking which occurs as the frustration
of the drivers behind rises to the level that unacceptable risks are
taken.

I doubt that it would make any difference at all. Some drivers always wnt to
get in front of whatever vehicle is in front of them, no matter what the
speed limit is or whatever other restrictions there are on the road.

Mary

Old November 23rd 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

"jim.johnson" wrote in message
All of us who tow a van know of the frustration which comes with arriving
behind a unit on a single carriageway road driven at the mandatory 50mph
limit - whether we are towing or not. We perhaps have more understanding
of the restraints involved when towing a van whereas I suspect most

drivers
do not realise that there is a lower limit of 50 mph and curse the driver

in
front for going slowly.

I sometimes wonder whether lifting the limit to 60mph would cause more or
less accidents than the dodgy overtaking which occurs as the frustration

of
the drivers behind rises to the level that unacceptable risks are taken.

Jim

I agree the speed limit should be raised to 60mph on two way roads, assuming
a lower limit is not in place. We are well aware as towers that 60mph would
not be appropriate in all circumstances but there are stretches of main A
road where 60mph would be the sensible option. I am not so convinced that an
increase in the speed limit will have any affect on what other motorists
think of us!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports