Nationwide ( or similar) Visa card Euro to Sterling

« - | - »

Old December 6th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Nationwide ( or similar) Visa card Euro to Sterling

Quite a while back there were recomendations to use Nationwide Cards in
Europe to draw Euro's and make purchases as the Nationwide gives more euro
to the pound.
This is still true when drawing euro out of a cash machine with a N'wide
card.
But I found this not true when useing the N'wide cards to pay for a hotel
bill and a car hire in Europe. Both the concerns useing these modern
electronic machines apparently coverted the charges into sterling at piont
of sale and I thus got the lower exhange rate I was trying to avoid by
useing N'wide.
So next time I have to withdraw cash from an ATM and pay in euro, I lost
some thing like 50 on the hotel bill.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 6th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , David
writes
Quite a while back there were recomendations to use Nationwide Cards in
Europe to draw Euro's and make purchases as the Nationwide gives more euro
to the pound.
This is still true when drawing euro out of a cash machine with a N'wide
card.
But I found this not true when useing the N'wide cards to pay for a hotel
bill and a car hire in Europe. Both the concerns useing these modern
electronic machines apparently coverted the charges into sterling at piont
of sale and I thus got the lower exhange rate I was trying to avoid by
useing N'wide.
So next time I have to withdraw cash from an ATM and pay in euro, I lost
some thing like 50 on the hotel bill.

Interesting situation. If the euro is the official currency of the
country in question one would expect to pay in euros. Perhaps next time
you should insist on paying in euros. Have you queried it with N'wide.
This is the sort of scam which could quickly spread.
--
hugh

Old December 6th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"David" wrote in message
Quite a while back there were recomendations to use Nationwide Cards in
Europe to draw Euro's and make purchases as the Nationwide gives more euro
to the pound.
This is still true when drawing euro out of a cash machine with a N'wide
card.
But I found this not true when useing the N'wide cards to pay for a hotel
bill and a car hire in Europe. Both the concerns useing these modern
electronic machines apparently coverted the charges into sterling at piont
of sale and I thus got the lower exhange rate I was trying to avoid by
useing N'wide.
So next time I have to withdraw cash from an ATM and pay in euro, I lost
some thing like 50 on the hotel bill.

Please reply to News Group.

David:

Have these hotel bills and car hire actually appeared on your statement yet?

I noticed last month when travelling in Asia (without the motorhome!) that
some credit card receipts gave a sterling equivalent on them, however when
these hit my statement the exchange rate was *much* better and used a
similar exchange rate to using an ATM at the better Nationwide rate.

Nigel.

Old December 6th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"hugh" ] wrote in message

Interesting situation. If the euro is the official currency of the
country in question one would expect to pay in euros. Perhaps next time
you should insist on paying in euros. Have you queried it with N'wide.
This is the sort of scam which could quickly spread.
--

Yes I've spoken to Nationwide, it was they that explained to me that the
transfer had been presented to them in stirling.

The same thing would have happened with both a Debit card or Credit card.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 6th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Nigel" wrote in message

Have these hotel bills and car hire actually appeared on your statement

yet?

I noticed last month when travelling in Asia (without the motorhome!) that
some credit card receipts gave a sterling equivalent on them, however when
these hit my statement the exchange rate was *much* better and used a
similar exchange rate to using an ATM at the better Nationwide rate.

Yes they are on my statements that's how I noticed the big difference in
rate to that used on the ATM cash withdrawals.

The CC reciepts show the euro converted to stirling.

So on your Asia reciepts the stirling value would have been different to
that on your statement. On mine both are the same Spanish rate.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 6th 04, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Hugh and Nigel, I would add some time ago I read the big 'normal' banks do
not like Nationwide, who are mutual, doing conversions at the better rates,
so maybe they are doing this to get back at Nationwide.

I would suggest you and others take care in future, I shall, I can do a lot
with the over 50 the banking system took off me.

Please reply to News Group.

« - | - »