American Express Travel Cheques

Old December 7th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

Default American Express Travel Cheques

I should have posted this warning months ago but, duh, I forgot. If you
intend going to the Dordogne area be aware that you might find it very
difficult, if not impossible, to cash American Express Travellers Cheques.
We spent a fortnight at Argentat last August and couldn't change our Amex
cheques at any of the banks or other financial institutions in the town.
Even the Bureau de Change didn't want to know. "Try the Post Office" was
the recommendation of many, so we did. Again, no luck. The P.O. would
happily sell Amex cheques but wouldn't cash them. It was the same story at
Tulle (about 25 km away). We called the Amex helpline and were told that
the Argentat & Tulle P.O.'s would cash the cheques (but we already knew that
wasn't true). In the end we managed by using plastic to get money from
hole-in-the-wall machines. We returned with all our Amex cheques uncashed.
I don't know why this situation exists or if it applies elsewhere in
France - perhaps others could add to the tale.

Old December 7th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Krikey" wrote in message
I should have posted this warning months ago but, duh, I forgot. If you
intend going to the Dordogne area be aware that you might find it very
difficult, if not impossible, to cash American Express Travellers Cheques.

It is many years since we were in France, before one could use ATMs, we were
advised to take TC's in french currency. The banks then exchanged them with
no charges. The only thing to watch was this was only possible at banks in
the same group as the bank the TCs were drawn on.
The main problem was getting the bank to unlock the electric door, I had to
bang on one untill they got fed up and let me in!

Did you not find useing your card in ATM will be best for future?
I think in Europe at least TC's have no advantage now, and silly paying
unnessary charges.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 7th 04, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

"Krikey" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think its just Amex TT I think it applies to most. Colleagues have
said they had difficulty cashing them in Banks. Do people still use
Travellers Cheques as it seems to me that they were born before the age of
plastic. I appreciate they can with a useful guarantee of your money back if
lost or stolen but you do have protection from misuse of EFT and Credit
Cards providing the pin numbers were not stolen at the same time.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports
For Grand Prix Fans www.donkeydoesf1.co.uk

Old December 7th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Krikey" wrote in message
I should have posted this warning months ago but, duh, I forgot. If you
intend going to the Dordogne area be aware that you might find it very
difficult, if not impossible, to cash American Express Travellers Cheques.

I've been in the habit of using Visa credit card for cash withdrawals on the
continent. No problem ,other than if you don't pay the bill in full at the
next payment date, they add interest every month. You can use your bank
debit card too at most atm's.
Why bother with travellers cheques? They charge you to buy them, many places
charge you to cash them and the only possible benefit is that if you lose
them, you can be paid out (not as quickly as the ads would have you
believe).
However, your travel insurance usually covers loss of cash up to the amount
you would be taking from an atm- about 300 worth usually.
DaveK.

---
Outgoing mail certified Virus Free.

Old December 7th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"davek" wrote in message

I've been in the habit of using Visa credit card for cash withdrawals on

the
continent. No problem ,other than if you don't pay the bill in full at the
next payment date, they add interest every month. You can use your bank
debit card too at most atm's.
Why bother with travellers cheques?

I think you are right for advanced countries such as in the EU, but for my
next visit abroad which is Tunisia I'm having to use travellors cheques.
I have cheque out on the web site for avaiability of ATMs there it shows me
none in the resort I'm in and only one in the nearest large town. Also
surprisingly to me it told me none of the airports there have ATMs.

Please reply to News Group.

Old December 7th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I think you are right for advanced countries such as in the EU, but for
my
next visit abroad which is Tunisia I'm having to use travellors cheques.
I have cheque out on the web site for avaiability of ATMs there it shows
me
none in the resort I'm in and only one in the nearest large town. Also
surprisingly to me it told me none of the airports there have ATMs.

It would have to be a pressing need to get me to set foot anywhere on the
continent of Africa.
(Maybe Egypt for a day trip from Cyprus)
DaveK.

---
Outgoing mail certified Virus Free.