Winches

Old December 8th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
zaccy123

Default Winches

Hi all,

I know you can buy a winch that has a towball attatchment at one end,
and a hook at the other to secure to a fixed object ( my car )for
pulling a caravan up a hill, but does any one know if this would be
suitable for lowering it back down again. In other words can I let the
winch take the weight and release the cable in a controlled maner to
get it back down safely ?

Hope this makes sense !

Old December 8th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"zaccy123" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I know you can buy a winch that has a towball attatchment at one end,
and a hook at the other to secure to a fixed object ( my car )for
pulling a caravan up a hill, but does any one know if this would be
suitable for lowering it back down again. In other words can I let the
winch take the weight and release the cable in a controlled maner to
get it back down safely ?

Hope this makes sense !

It does to me (that doesn't say much).

I don't think you're talking about a powered winch though. In my experience
it takes more effort to control the slow descent of a heavy object downhill
with a winch than it does to pull it up. It should be OK though, as long as
your car will hold the weight ...

Mary

Old December 8th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

zaccy123 wrote:

Hi all,

I know you can buy a winch that has a towball attatchment at one end,
and a hook at the other to secure to a fixed object ( my car )for
pulling a caravan up a hill, but does any one know if this would be
suitable for lowering it back down again. In other words can I let the
winch take the weight and release the cable in a controlled maner to
get it back down safely ?

Hope this makes sense !

The question makes sense, but I fear that the answer is No.

AIUI, the motor only works one way - and the load is stopped from running
back by a ratchet. In order to extend the cable, you need to release the
ratchet - which doesn't give a controlled descent.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old December 9th 04, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

"zaccy123" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I know you can buy a winch that has a towball attatchment at one end,
and a hook at the other to secure to a fixed object ( my car )for
pulling a caravan up a hill, but does any one know if this would be
suitable for lowering it back down again. In other words can I let the
winch take the weight and release the cable in a controlled maner to
get it back down safely ?

Hope this makes sense !

I use elecric and hydraulic winches and even the small (2000lbs) electric
winches you can let out or pull in under control.
There are also hand winches Turfor* which work equally as well cranking
either way , I have used winches to extract cars from extremely difficult
places and you sometimes have to lower as well as lift then allways under
control!

* it is a trade name

Old December 9th 04, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 8 Dec 2004 13:38:28 -0800, "zaccy123" wrote:

| Hi all,
|
| I know you can buy a winch that has a towball attatchment at one end,
| and a hook at the other to secure to a fixed object ( my car )for
| pulling a caravan up a hill, but does any one know if this would be
| suitable for lowering it back down again. In other words can I let the
| winch take the weight and release the cable in a controlled maner to
| get it back down safely ?

It makes sense to me. I use *another* method every time I take the van out.
Our drive slopes road high. I tow it out which is uphill.

Here is what I posted some time ago.
Take a long length of the thickest blue rope you can get from B&Q, a lot
more than you think. Put a loop in the end,
round the jockey wheel post and through the hole for the emergency brake
wire. Put the towball of the car in line with the van and drive,
handbrake *on*. Put 1 1/2 turns of blue rope round the stem of the tow
ball, with the weakest member of the party instructed to keep the rope
just tight, he/she will only have to hold a fraction of the weight of the
van. If he/she finds this difficult put another turn round the tow ball.
Instruct the person on the rope to *slowly* slacken the rope and let van
down the drive, while another controls the direction of the van.

This method has been used for hundreds of years on ships anchors.
For the maths of this see:
http://www.math.bcit.ca/examples/mec...ls/index.shtml
http://www.amrg.org/friction_in_rope_rescue_Attaway.pdf

The Capstan Friction Equation and
Capstan Equation applied to breaking devices

Yes it does work.

The rope takes a fraction of the weight of the van.
If the drive is 1 in 10 this is roughly 1/10th
if the drive is 1 in 20 this is roughly 1/20th.
The rope must also have a safety factor of at least 4 and preferably more.

--
Dave F
Old December 9th 04, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old December 9th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Hitch Lock
writes
zaccy123 wrote:

Hi all,

I know you can buy a winch that has a towball attatchment at one end,
and a hook at the other to secure to a fixed object ( my car )for
pulling a caravan up a hill, but does any one know if this would be
suitable for lowering it back down again. In other words can I let the
winch take the weight and release the cable in a controlled maner to
get it back down safely ?

Hope this makes sense !

The question makes sense, but I fear that the answer is No.

AIUI, the motor only works one way - and the load is stopped from running
back by a ratchet. In order to extend the cable, you need to release the
ratchet - which doesn't give a controlled descent.

I'm afraid the answer is yes - at least it is for the hand winch I had
some years ago. The ratchet had 3 positions, centre one being off.
--
hugh