Resealing Help + ABI Viceroy 1994

Old December 9th 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
abi_man

Default Resealing Help + ABI Viceroy 1994

Hi All,

The rear,inner side of the roof, appears very soft when I apply thumb
pressure to the roof lining.

There are no brown stains or algae etc

So i set about resealing.

The rear aluminium roof strip that goes centre to the awning rail, at
the damp section side, I removed and cleaned... I used sikaflex to
reseal it, affording attention to the rebedding of the screws, that was
not rusty or weather damaged... thank god.

I then removed one half of the awning rail(mid - rear section).
In doing so I removed all the old mastic from the rail and the van.
In removing this rail, because a previous owner had resealed with black
rubber type sealant, i had to cut a lot of this sealant out. In doing
so, now that it is off, some sections of the rubber strip have little
nips in. In fact the rail has 2 of these strips. One for upper rail and
lower rail respectively.

Q) Can I purchase these seals? Anyone know of a supplier? Can I do what
obviously the previous owner did and reseal the rail when its back on,
with this type of black sealant too?

Another point, all the corner sections of the van, the aluminium folds
etc are seemingly bonded and have a rubberised mastic type material, do
i leave this on?

The screw I have removed from the rail are in good condition, again no
signs of rust. Should I purchase new screws and if so, doews anyone
know where I can get these from? Are they countersunk stainless screws?
Sorry for sounding so dumb but I want to do this job right!!

Now, upon everything been back in place, do I put a heater in the rear
corner of the van, to dry it out or do I just leave it now.. and nature
will take its course..

Thanks to all in advance

Burt

Old December 9th 04, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On 9 Dec 2004 01:51:42 -0800, "abi_man"
wrote:

Now, upon everything been back in place, do I put a heater in the rear
corner of the van, to dry it out or do I just leave it now.. and nature
will take its course..

Your problem here is that if the panel is sealed from the outside and
the interior panel still has it's vinyl coating on then the water
inside the panel has nowhere to go and no way of evapourating out of
the panel. It needs some way of escaping. David Halley ( of David
Halley Caravans ) who frequently posts on here, once suggested getting
a vent cover and making a small hole in the interior wall to allow the
water to evapourate and then covering the hole with a vent to hide the
hole. I don't know whether it works or not but his solutions usually
do.

(remove the spam to reply)