Scenic Auto towing limit

Old December 9th 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JMcG

Default Scenic Auto towing limit

Hello,

I am considering buying a 2001 Renault Scenic 1.6 Expression Plus Automatic,
which I plan to use to tow my 1996 Abbey Iona. I subscribed to the Towsafe
website and checked the match, which reports all aspects safe. However,
this is for the Manual model, and I was a bit miffed (having forked out
almost £16) to find the autos weren't listed. I need an auto as I am
disabled, but have heard all sorts of horror stories about very very low
towing limits on the Scenic autos. Does anyone tow with one? Do you have
any problems? Do you have an oil cooler fitted?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards, - and a Merry Christmas to one and all.

John McG

Old December 9th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"JMcG" wrote in
:

Hello,

I am considering buying a 2001 Renault Scenic 1.6 Expression Plus
Automatic, which I plan to use to tow my 1996 Abbey Iona. I subscribed
to the Towsafe website and checked the match, which reports all aspects
safe. However, this is for the Manual model, and I was a bit miffed
(having forked out almost £16) to find the autos weren't listed. I need
an auto as I am disabled, but have heard all sorts of horror stories
about very very low towing limits on the Scenic autos. Does anyone tow
with one? Do you have any problems? Do you have an oil cooler fitted?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards, - and a Merry Christmas to one and all.

John McG

Checked this site?
http://www.whattowcar.com/

--
Regards, Lex
http://biod.net

Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Old December 9th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

Lex M wrote:
"JMcG" wrote in
:

Hello,

I am considering buying a 2001 Renault Scenic 1.6 Expression Plus
Automatic, which I plan to use to tow my 1996 Abbey Iona. I
subscribed to the Towsafe website and checked the match, which
reports all aspects safe. However, this is for the Manual model,
and I was a bit miffed (having forked out almost £16) to find the
autos weren't listed. I need an auto as I am disabled, but have
heard all sorts of horror stories about very very low towing limits
on the Scenic autos. Does anyone tow with one? Do you have any
problems? Do you have an oil cooler fitted?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards, - and a Merry Christmas to one and all.

John McG

Checked this site?
http://www.whattowcar.com/

John has to wait a few days till I add this Scénic to the database.......
But John, you can check available models in advance!

Gross Train Weight of the Scénic I 1.6 16v auto is limited to 2750 kg and
towing limit is 1250 kg. Kerbweight is 1280 kg so that leaves for the driver
and a few extara's a miserable 220 kg.

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com

Old December 10th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

Bert W wrote:
Lex M wrote:
"JMcG" wrote in

I am considering buying a 2001 Renault Scenic 1.6 Expression Plus
Automatic, which I plan to use to tow my 1996 Abbey Iona. I
subscribed to the Towsafe website and checked the match, which
reports all aspects safe. However, this is for the Manual model,
and I was a bit miffed (having forked out almost £16) [...]

Checked this site?
http://www.whattowcar.com/

Gross Train Weight of the Scénic I 1.6 16v auto is limited to 2750 kg
and towing limit is 1250 kg. Kerbweight is 1280 kg so that leaves for
the driver and a few extara's a miserable 220 kg.

John, the Scénic I 1.6 16v auto is added to the database.

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com

Old December 11th 04, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gordon Austin

Hi John
I tow my Swift Charisma with a Scenic 2 Dynamique with the 1.9 Dci. In the
handbook it states a max tow weight of 1300kgs, driver only!! otherwise its
only 950kgs. So the wife has to travel behind on her bike!!! This annomaly
in the book was picked up by another caravan owner, who thinking he might be
breaking the law if his wife was in the car with him and towing the max
permisable braked weight he would technically be breaking the law. He wrote
to "Caravan" magazine to ask what they thought and they agreed with him,so
they took it up with Renault and the outcome is if you contact Renault
Customer Services they send you a letter stating that as long as your Gross
train weight does not exceed 3050kgs they consider it to be a safe match,
then keep the letter in the handbook in case you should need to prove you
are not breaking the law. All the people I've spoken to and the caravan
magazines recommend, the 1.9l diesel for towing. So if you can find a Scenic
with a 1.9 diesel you will be doing yourself a favour.

Gordon
"Bert W" wrote in message
Lex M wrote:
"JMcG" wrote in