What method do you folks use to get on the net from a motorhome?

Old December 9th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
skintoo

Default What method do you folks use to get on the net from a motorhome?

Hi there,

I'm wondering what various solutions people have followed to get onto
the internet with a laptop while they are in their motorhome/caravan
and out in the big wide world.

I have to confess I have very low technical knowhow in this area.

Any insights or experience would be greatly appreciated as I begin to
research the various ways to do this...

cheers

Skintoo

Old December 9th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

"skintoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

I'm wondering what various solutions people have followed to get onto
the internet with a laptop while they are in their motorhome/caravan
and out in the big wide world.

I have to confess I have very low technical knowhow in this area.

Any insights or experience would be greatly appreciated as I begin to
research the various ways to do this...

cheers

Skintoo

I use my Nokia 6100 to connect to the Internet via my laptop using Infra
Red. In good signal strength areas it works very well, if a bit on the slow
side. However it is expensive , particularly abroad. To download e-mails it
might take 2/3 minutes and to check my Internet Banking perhaps 8/10 minutes
so that you can get an idea of the cost. To save sometime I saving the
log-on page onto the desktop which cuts out going through the site front
page. The web is slow using this method. There are other faster methods via
either a PC Card or GRPS via the phone which charge by the amount downloaded
but they all seem quite expensive to set up but then again if money is no
object it gets more interesting!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports
For Grand Prix Fans www.donkeydoesf1.co.uk

Old December 9th 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I use my Nokia 6100 to connect to the Internet via my laptop using Infra
Red.

My pal in Spain used his laptop and mobile phone when living in his caravan
last year. Very expensive and unreliable.
We visited them recently and I found an internet cafe close to where he had
been camped, which had fast connection and charged 2 euros for thirty
minutes, which was plenty of time to sort your online banking, send and
receive emails and a bit of time over to see what was happening back home.
Libraries are good places to get on the internet, but they are bureaucratic
(specially in France) and are usually so badly set up it's like watching
paint dry, waiting for a connection.
Incidentally, it's amazing the number of people who don't clear their
history when they leave a public computer.
DaveK.

---
Outgoing mail certified Virus Free.

Old December 9th 04, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On 9 Dec 2004 14:37:12 -0800, "skintoo"
wrote:

Hi there,

I'm wondering what various solutions people have followed to get onto
the internet with a laptop while they are in their motorhome/caravan
and out in the big wide world.

I have to confess I have very low technical knowhow in this area.

Any insights or experience would be greatly appreciated as I begin to
research the various ways to do this...

I have used a mobile phone (different Nokias over the years) with
infrared.

It is often better (depending on your tariff) to access using a
geographical number if your ISP has one, rather than an 0845 number.

GPRS will be faster, but not necessarily cheaper for the same amount
of data, and usually means you are not accessing via your own ISP,
which may well affect the newsgroups you can get, and possibly your
email.

Old December 10th 04, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
skintoo

Alas money is something of an object : )
but it's interesting to consider the possibilities.
You'd think these satellite dish setups people use for tv would be one
route, but of course they are only geared up to *receive* information,
not return it.

I think you CAN subscribe to telephone systems using this kind of gear,
but you pay a lot of money per month. I read some stuff on an American
site about this. Even in the U.S. it is apparently considered a
worthwhile home option for some people, maybe people who are very badly
served by ordinary phone infrastructure for some reason. I don't know
how easy it is to move around and lock onto your satellite etc.

I'm going to have a look at the GRPS idea, I know a yacht skipper who
uses that as a phone, so I'll find out the set up costs.

I met some people who linked laptops to mobile phones in India, and
because of the very cheap local rates in that country it was quite
viable. Maybe it would be worth looking into 'local' sim cards for a
mobile phone in such places as Morocco, Turkey etc. ??

I suppose WAP type phones will turn out to be the easiest option for
things like sending and receiving email, especially as they develop
over the next couple of years, but would have thought coverage will
remain a problem for more ambitious van trips for some time.