satellite question

Old August 1st 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

Default satellite question

"denfman" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,
I know all the sky digital channels(BBC,ITV.etc) are changing the

satellite
they use, making it impractical to watch sky while in southern

France,Spain
and Portugal as a 1.2 metre dish maybe required.
my question is this, is there any other satellite broadcasts in English to
be watched on a different satellite with a much smaller dish ?. I have

seen
quite a lot of European caravaners with dishes so they must be watching
something.
a couple of years ago I had a D2MAC system and there was quite a few

English
channels (some with "foreign" sub-titles) and I wondered if the same

applies
to digital.
if anybody can point me in the right direction I would be grateful
thanks in advance
DAZ

Daz:

If you have a mobile/motorised dish (we've got an Oyster) the you'll be able
to pick up all the European/Arab/African satellites whose footprint you are
under.

Sky News, CNN, BBC World etc. broadcast on several different satellites (not
just the ones we get here) so you'll be able to pick up programming wherever
you go providing you've got the right receiver.

Our van has an Oyster dish with a (German) decoder and software from Ten
Haaft which picks up all the non-scrambled satellite transmissions. We also
take our Sky box with us and this works fine in northern Europe (some
stations are no longer accessible now the further you go south as they have
moved to a satellite whose footprint only covers northern Europe - this year
we lost BBC & ITV but could still pick up CH4 & CH5 the further south we
went). Your dish needs a dual LNB to pick up different satellites.

Hope that this helps.

Nigel.

Old August 1st 03, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Nigel" wrote in message

Your dish needs a dual LNB to pick up different satellites.

I do not understand what you mean here, and why a normal universal lnb is
not being recommended.

Please reply to News Group.

Old August 1st 03, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Nigel" wrote in message

All I recall is that when our system was fitted it wasn't the 'ordinary'

LNB
something different was fitted to enable us to pick up signals from more
than one satellite.

Ah, maybe you have 2 lnbs fitted to 1 fixed dish so as to recieve 2
different satellites.

The word dual would signify an lnb with 2 outputs to enable 2 different
recievers to be used on 1 dish.

Please reply to News Group.

Old August 1st 03, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"David" wrote in message

"Nigel" wrote in message

Your dish needs a dual LNB to pick up different satellites.

I do not understand what you mean here, and why a normal universal lnb is
not being recommended.

Please reply to News Group.

Sorry - perhaps I used the wrong terminology - I'm no satellite expert -
just a satisfied user!

Old August 1st 03, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"David" wrote in message

"Nigel" wrote in message

All I recall is that when our system was fitted it wasn't the 'ordinary'

LNB
something different was fitted to enable us to pick up signals from more
than one satellite.

Ah, maybe you have 2 lnbs fitted to 1 fixed dish so as to recieve 2
different satellites.

The word dual would signify an lnb with 2 outputs to enable 2 different
recievers to be used on 1 dish.

Please reply to News Group.

David:

Haven't a clue - all I know is that I press a switch on, press the remote
for the channel I want and the dish magically searches and locks on to the
appropriate signal. Hey presto - Sky Sports in the Black Forest! What more
could you want - Sky Sports & real German beer.

What was interesting was the ability to watch Iraqi TV during the war
broadcast direct from Baghdad (since been cut off by the Americans). I can
be really sad flicking through the 1000+ channels available on the various
satellites!

Happy viewing!

Nigel.

Old August 1st 03, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
denfman

right ok then, where do i buy it and how much will it cost me if i have to
buy it all from scatch?

Old August 1st 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"denfman" wrote in message
. ..
right ok then, where do i buy it and how much will it cost me if i have to
buy it all from scatch?

Ours came from Transleisure in Leeds (we're quite local to Leeds).

About 2000 + VAT + Installation + travelling for engineer

check: http://www.transleisure.co.uk/

Although not cheap, we wouldn't be without it.

Nigel.