O/T -F/x Rates & convenience ATM's

Old August 2nd 03, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

Default O/T -F/x Rates & convenience ATM's

I suppose I should have known, but I used this week a "hole in the wall"
machine situated in the hypermarket just off the autoroute leading from the
ferry port in Calais. On getting Home I found the conversion used was 1.364
euros to the pound whereas the current rae is 1.435.

I mention this because I normally only use ATM's sited at and belonging to a
bank and the conversion rate is only a couple of cents off the middle
price. The fee levied by my bank is 1.5% (FrstDirect), but I suspect the
exchange rate is that charged by the ATM operator.

I am not going to conduct what could be a very expensive survey, but I did
notice that my wife and I used machines provided by Ing and Fortis banks on
the same day and the best rate was given by the former.

I won't be using a convenience ATM while abroad again..

Old August 2nd 03, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gill107

"Nigel" wrote in message

I'd suggest opening an acount with Nationwide Buliding Society. They have
no 'hidden' extra charge built into the conversion rates when using theur
ATM or Credit cards overseas. We have always got a better rate using our
Nationwide cards than the rates advetised in the banks, travel agencies on
on teletext.

Others have done surveys (Which? and a couple of the Sunday supplement
travel sections) and Nationwide has consistently come out top.

Hope that this helps.

Nigel.

-----------------------------------
We use a Credit Card for all our super/hypermarket shopping plus fuel and
have never needed to aquire cash from a cashpoint but we intend to open a
Nationwide acount just in case. (Must remember to keep some money in it!)

For a Credit Card we use the Caravan Club card which is from
Frizell/Liverpool Victoria. This has no transaction charge abroad and the
exchange rate used on purchases is better than the tourist rate back home.
You also get a free 'site night voucher' on a Club site for every 2000
spent.
Spending 6000 over the year gives you 3 site vouchers which near enough
pays for the CC annual subscription.

Gillian

Old August 2nd 03, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Luckman

In article , Nigel
wrote:

I'd suggest opening an acount with Nationwide Buliding Society. They have
no 'hidden' extra charge built into the conversion rates when using theur
ATM or Credit cards overseas.

It would also seem that the Lombard Direct credit card has no charges for
using it abroad. Might be worth checking the small print about that?

--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) : Satellite and TV aerial systems

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

Old August 2nd 03, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"gill107" wrote in message

"Nigel" wrote in message

[...]

Gillian:

I have credit cards from Nationwide, Nat West & Co-op.

Nationwide gives a better rate overseas 100% of the time than the other
two - suggest you look into getting a Nationwide credit card rather than
using your current one in addition to their debit cards.

Say we spend 2000 on a summer holiday (including the obligatory 600 at
Auchan Calais on the way back), a 2.5% saving is 50 - a couple of cases of
rather nice wine.

Cheers!

Nigel.

Old August 2nd 03, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"gill107" wrote in message

"Nigel" wrote in message

"gill107" wrote in message

I have credit cards from Nationwide, Nat West & Co-op.

Nationwide gives a better rate overseas 100% of the time than the other
two - suggest you look into getting a Nationwide credit card rather than
using your current one in addition to their debit cards.

I'm not sure how you would check this, Nigel without using all 3 for 3
different purchases in the same store and within minutes of each other.

Even
then you can't be sure.
The exchange rate can go up and down during the course of a day and your
card has the rate applied for the time it goes through the system.

As a case in point.
During our last trip to France we used our card for provisions at the

Auchan
in Boulogne on the morning of 4th June. The rate was 1.3885.
Half an hour later for fuel at the Auchan service station further across

the
site the rate was 1.3923.
Later the same day in Rouen I bought a new mirror (don't ask!) and the

rate
was 1.3924.

Gillian

Hi Gillian:

Yes, the exchange rate does vary throughout the day, although not entirely
scientific when I've used my Nationwide card for purchases and my partner
has used their (Natwest or Barclaycard) at almost the same time Nationwide
has consistently come out tops on exchange rate. I'm a sad person and
compare exchange rates on credit card statements!

A suggestion: let's meet up at Auchan, credit cards at the ready for a
uk.rec.caravanning comparative credit card shopping trip! Perhaps we could
interest MMM or Practical Motorhome to sponsor us!

Best Wishes,

Nigel.

Old August 2nd 03, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gill107

"Nigel" wrote in message

Hi Gillian:

Yes, the exchange rate does vary throughout the day, although not entirely
scientific when I've used my Nationwide card for purchases and my partner
has used their (Natwest or Barclaycard) at almost the same time Nationwide
has consistently come out tops on exchange rate. I'm a sad person and
compare exchange rates on credit card statements!

A suggestion: let's meet up at Auchan, credit cards at the ready for a
uk.rec.caravanning comparative credit card shopping trip! Perhaps we

could
interest MMM or Practical Motorhome to sponsor us!

Best Wishes,

Nigel.

Good suggestion, Nigel.
A sort of supermarket swipe?